Monday, January 28, 2019

Monday Bupkis, part 9262

Sometime when I sit down and start typing a blog post things just come to me.

SHOT show is going on.  Neat stuff, but I am at that stage in my gunnie journey that getting another boomstick only rarely become an itch. I'm glad the new stuff is there, but I don't have to bring it home.

I am more into DOING things with the guns I have.  Pistols I have.  A carbine class may be fun, and the class super informative, but at my age, doing the calisthenics might be too far of a stretch.  And close quarter grappling with a gun in play?  I'm at a distinct disadvantage.  15 years ago I'd be much more eager to try it. 

We live in a golden age of gun training but it still takes considerable effort to FIND a class, then put the time in to get to it.  On this I need to do better.

There are a few instructors I would not hesitate to make the effort.  But there is a lotta chaff out there, too.  And except for the handful I know there is no way to tell which is which.  There is no directory with columns of Recommended, and It's OK, neither good nor bad, and Not Recommended for the crap.  And there can't be.  Such a list would descend into internet-comments quality in a second.  An honest comment section would be too subjective. 

Here is a for instance.  Everything I have heard about Kelly's emergency medicine shindig puts it in the Recommended colunm.  I wanna take that class.  It just hasn't happened yet.  Not exactly a gun class, but related.  I've never heard anyone that took that class say they hated it or it was just OK.  But you know those people are out there.

Same with Mas's class.  The MAG classes.  I've heard good things about Mas's training skills.  Which class tho?  Do the 20 Live Fire, then try to do the 40 later?  Either way, I'd have to get a hotel room and take a week off work.  Harrisburg PA and Rochester Indiana are the closest, for instance, for the MAG40.  MAG20 is in Connecticut, so, can't get there through New York so easy.  The other classes aren't in driving range.  

See?  We may be in the golden age of training but doing one of the better classes isn't like popping in to the gun store 5 miles away and getting a new gun.  It's challenging. 

2 comments:

.45ACP+P said...

Not quite as snazzy but you could come out to an Appleseed. This weekend in Stafford Va. is not that far from you. Maryland actually has at least one a month too.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

i do need to put appleseed on the list