Monday, April 1, 2019

Carrying

Tam has a point.  Even people with a hard earned CCW permit often don't carry.

But, if I lived in Viriginia instead of Maryland, I'd carry.  Even to church.  Or so I'd like to think.

Work pants are thin.  Lots of printing.

And I haven't trained myself like Tam has.  Carrying.

She has pants on?  I bet there is a gun in it.  The pants.  She has done that day in and day out for probably decades?  So the full size, or darn near close to full size, gun on her belt... She is used to it.  I remember when I switched from a walking around job on a cement floor, to a carpet job with a padded swivel chair and a CRT screen. It took MONTHS for my eyes to not hurt from looking at the screen.  My feet were happy.  So was my liver.  The cement floor was in the brewery I ran. 

If I strapped a 1911 in a IWB holster on?  "Oh, my back.  And that side is the sciatica side.  Have I put on a few pounds?  Great, the pants are too tight..."  Then I default back to the less optimal J-Frame in a front pocket.

Unless I am wearing those thin work pants.  Then even the J-Frame is a problem.

I'd probably work through the problem, like I did with the computer screen.  It'll just take a while.

But not everyone is as gun-centric as you and me.

But yeah, even with churches getting targeted I bet more than half the churches in Virginia won't have a gun anywhere inside this Sunday.  And it is legal in Virginia at the discression of the yadda yadda.  A few have a blanket no gun policy, but lots politely say nothing and it's a Don't Ask Don't Tell situation.  I find.  There.  In Maryland, maybe if a cop goes to your church?  Or you hired a guard. 

---

As an aside, I wrote all this in Maryland.  I am home tho.  And I have a J-Frame in my pocket and a Hudson in the nightstand a room away.  (The Hudson has a light, see?)  Why?  Because I live in a dangerous area.  Maryland.  And it is now solicitor season.  Lots of doorbell ringing.  During daylight I still open the door.  During night I might just check the air lock.  I am lucky to have a porch, so my front door opens onto the porch and the porch door is locked.  A hammer can bust down the porch door, but it can bust down the front door too.  But no one can quickly snatch at me without taking the time to foil the door. 


4 comments:

Miguel GFZ said...

I have similar health issues. I went with Man Purse. The one I am using is no longer in production, but does not look tactical at all. Light blue-gray with shoulder strap, it looks more like an accessory bag.
And I am thinking about dropping coin on this one

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E5JKI4Y/?coliid=I2XMZ85MIZCBIT

Howard Brewi said...

I carry a J frame .357 in a pocket holster in right front pocket even to church. Alaska is constitutional carry. A couple other guys and I'm pretty sure one old lady are usually armed at church.

Projectilist said...

I changed churches (left the one where I married my wife and where my kids were baptized) when they put up Texas 30.06 & 30.07 signs. Thankfully, I get just as much preaching and fellowship at our new church home. One that doesn't turn me away at the door.

Jonathan H said...

Where I go to church, no guns signs have no force of law - where I live, they do, but so little it doesn't matter (and yes, I'm glad I no longer live in Maryland).
I use a pocket holster for a single stack polymer pistol - I don't have to use a jacket or loose shirt to cover it and the small pocket bulge is not noticeable. of course the drawback is that it is harder to draw than some other carry positions.
I carry whenever I can legally; unfortunately I can't at work (federal facility) even though there are no effective guards or gates here. I just happen to have a set of tools in my office, including a large wrench on my desk - it is better than nothing...