Tuesday, September 29, 2009

CMP


I'll join the Garand Collectors assoc. to be in a CMP recognized/affiliated club. Plus, I really like Garands.

So I might one day fill out a form, get it notarized, and sent in to CMP with a check and a photocopy of my DD214, in the event I want to get a M1 carbine sent to me…

Yeah, I could be tempted by an M1 Carbine still. Especially if a lot come back into the pipeline from South Korea. A sudden glut of supply might not bring the prices down, but it might hold them steady, I am thinking.

If I really want to do this I should start to get magazines and parts and slings and such now…

Dammit. If I commit to M1 Carbine as my carbine, I have to commit to stockpiling M1 Carbine .30 ammo. Something brand new in my personal bunker. I hope the Koreans are sending back a LOT of surplus ammo, too. Non-corrosive.

But at less than $400 per unit for a rack grade piece of history, I might just fall over that slippery slope. I've fired the M2 Carbine... the full auto version of the M1, and that is a fun machine gun. The only thing going against the M2 is the slight more recoil and the cost of the ammo over something like the 9mm MP40. .30 carbine (or .223) is about the strongest cartridge that I personally think is practical for full auto firing from the shoulder. Unless you get something as heavy as a BAR. Machine guns (full size cartridge) need tripods or bipods or some other sort of mount in my humble opinion.

Other disadvantages? Well, the bullets supposedly bounce off of hordes of Chinese soldier in wave attacks. But what are the chances I will need to shoot at Chinese Zombies in 1950s heavy woolen overcoats in this day and age? I know for certain that I don't want to be hit by a supposedly anemic .30 bullet, and I bet most bad guys feel the same way. And zombie shots should be head shots, anyway.

No comments: