Monday, September 28, 2009

Kahr

I saw this over at the Firearm Blog.

I’ve heard plenty of good things about Kahr pistols. Brigid likes them, for one, and the reasons she likes them are reasons that attract me to the model. Compact. Well made. Looks like a simple manual of arms. Glock like.

But I don’t like the Mass compliant Kahr that Firearm shows. Specifically, the safety.



It looks like ‘down’ is safe. Up is fire.

That’s their choice, and they aren’t alone at it, but I won’t be a customer to any model like that. Why? I’m already used to the other way. Down is fire. Like the way God intended. It's the manual of arms I know. If I mix it up I'm liable to make a huge mistake under stress when I need it. Same with mixing Colt and S&W revolvers. At least on reload. One you pull to release the cylinder, the other you push. I picture some cop, speedloader in hand, in 1978, trying to reload his Colt Python after 15 years of carrying a S&W Model 10. Trying and failing to get the cylinder open.

Now if I had been exposed to nothing but Kahr safeties to date, I’d prefer the other way and eschew 1911s for the rest of my life.

Can you imagine the horror? Life without a 1911?


Hopefully Maryland won't take a page and continue down the path toward a Massachusetts style feature demand on approved firearms. Maryland is bad enough as it is.


And I don't like the loaded chamber indicator. But only because it is one more thing that can break.


I'd buy a Kahr, but never an opposite-safety Kahr. Or any other gun-makers opposite-to-1911-safety gun.

No comments: