Thursday, August 22, 2013

1911 Tip

Here is a tip I didn't know.  The extractor on your 1911 isn't drop in. It has to be adjusted to keep from causing you problems.  This tip doesn't tell you how to adjust it, but it does tell you how to find out if there is something wrong.

Insert a magazine and chamber a round.  Then remove the magazine.  Now the next bullet can't 'help' keep things aligned.  Fire the round and note where the brass flies.  2 to 5 o'clock is what you want.  Left, up, forward, in your face, stovepipe...  hmmm, not so good.  That needs looking at.

Now, how many gun classes do I need to take and where to do this myself with a hope of success?

3 comments:

C-90 said...

Jerry Kuhnhausen's shop book for the 1911 series of semi-automatics has a coupla pages on inspecting the ejector for proper fit and adjustments to properly fit the rim of the .45 acp cartridge.

RHB

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Kuhnhausen... I shoulda remembered that.

Robert Fowler said...

It's not that had to do, but you do need the special tool. Being a gunsmith, I have special tools out the ass. When I die, my wife will be rich selling all of them.

Brownell's has the tool, I think they are around 30 bucks. Worth it if you are going to do very much work on 1911's.