Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Finger Tip

So, I mentioned that, for me, a surprise break is something I have to work on to make happen. But sight alignment, luckily, comes pretty naturally. I am so jealous of people that come to shooting with a natural, instinctive trigger squeeze.

Somewhere in the middle? Finger placement on the trigger face. That is only natural for me half the time. I'm pretty good with fingering the 1911. I am shifting more toward the tip, where, originally, I pretty much centered the placement right on the whorl of the fingerprint. I am 'tip-side' of the whorl now. And this is relatively natural. It's good to get out a ways on the tip because the joint of the trigger finger where it first enters the meat of the hand-proper sure does move a lot. If I can get this off the grip scale I will yank the pistol around less. 

No, the true issue is with Double Action with the S&W 640. With DA I line up the sight picture, then commit to the trigger pull, drawing it back smoothly and steadily and deliberately until it fires. This works great. IF, my finger is on the trigger face correctly. Which ISN'T the tip, mind you. I can overcome the 8 or so pound trigger pull with the tip but the press is so awkward I have no chance of hitting anything. Place the finger on the sweet spot and I am as accurate as I want to be with a DA snubbie.  What I need is the get that finger placement correct natural all the time.  It's somewhere along the line of the first joint. This will require drills. A range session with just the snubbies and a buncha boxes of ammo. Find the spot on the finger, where it out, and remember it for next time.

1 comment:

Jon said...

I was running through some rounds last weekend, and kept pulling high and right. I think I've got my finger shoved into the trigger too deep. Next trip, just the tip.