Thursday, September 16, 2021

"Yeah? The biopsy didn't work"

"Ah, well.  Whatever.  We'll get back to you.  No hurry because...  We got nothing.  Treatment?  Naw we gotta know more before we can do that."

Good thing it's supposedly a slow cancer.  Cancers.  I mean we hope the cancers we are looking at are it and those all seem to be the slow kind.  

Godspeed!  

Lessons learned so far.  Doctors are really smart.  But they don't know a tiny fraction about how things work.  Dr. House is fiction, and he won't sweep in and go "It's not lupus."  Because he doesn't know. 

---

Also.

Of all the cancers it could be, will any of the current treatments considered cure it? 

"No Mr. Bolt."

Will any of those treatments relieve the painful symptoms I am experiencing?

"Oh, probably not?"

Will it extend my lifespan very much?

"Also, no."

Why am I here in your doctor office, then?

"To get more and more frustrated, Mr. Bolt?"

Ah.  I see.  As long as there is a purpose.  I'd hate to think I was spending the insurance company's money for nothing.

---

I wonder what Norm had?  Probably never know.  But if he learned about it 9 years ago, then he was exactly my age then.  And 9 years is a 'slow burn'.  One of youse hollah if you hear what flavor.  I doubt it was pancreatic or colon cancer.  He was able to work until near the end and didn't seem to be in pain.  Look at old comedy routines of Bill Hicks who died of pancreatic cancer in the 90s.  You can tell he is suffering. Still working tho.  

3 comments:

McChuck said...

You're seeing the doctors again and again so they can pay for their kids' braces.

Jonathan H said...

Doctors are still only scratching the surface of understanding the human body...there is more they don't know than do know.
Looks like it's up to you to decide how far and how fast to push diagnosis and treatment; it's a tough question - I'm glad I'm not you

Will said...

Always look up all prescription meds on the web. You may find a surprise like I did recently. Turns out one med is to lower the amount of one of the two cholesterols, however they already know that doing that will greatly increase the likelihood of heart and circulatory system failures. F'ing idiots, still following the now outdated drug company brochure info.
Overall, it seems most doctors stop learning after med school graduation. No real difference between auto mechanics and people mechanics, was my conclusion some decades ago. Too many of both categories are about worthless.