Saturday, October 23, 2010

Chili

There are no beans in chili. Beans are a garnish that you can add when you serve up a bowl, but you don't cook them in the pot with the meat.

Why? Because you should be cooking that meat for hours. Days even. Beans would disintegrate.

And there are 3 types of Chili. Texas. Cincinnati (which has tomatoes and cinnamon), and the abomination known as 'Manhattan Style' (which has BELL peppers in it!) On this there can be no argument.

I'm glad I was able to finally settle the argument for everyone. Now our little community has one less thing to bicker over. We can get back to talking about how 1911s are superior in every way to them Glocks.

(I posted this now because the beans thing has infected my workplace!)

8 comments:

TotC said...

For years, I sinned by placing beans in my chili. My parents fed it to me that way, and I never knew any better.

Now, I start out with a Texas chili and add in a can or two of diced tomatoes and chiles.

As far as cinnamon or bell peppers, ugh!!

JB Miller said...

Superior in every way except, cost, capacity, reliability and uniformity.

But I am with you on the bean thing.

Jay G said...

If we're getting technical, chili doesn't have meat, either. Hence "Chili con carne".

According to the purists, chili is a spicy red sauce.

Err, no. It has meat *and* beans. Without beans it's spicy beef stew.

bluesun said...

Beans have infected your workplace? Something about that statement smells suspicious.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

yeah. my workplace is famous for it's men's room antics. you really don't want to know the details.

bluesun said...

Yes, there are other things that I would rather be famous for...

Patrick said...

Sorry. I like beans and green peppers in my chili. /shrug

Mike W. said...

Nonsense! I had homemade chili for lunch with TWO different kinds of beans in it!