Friday, October 15, 2010

Scoping the 1894C

After shooting those milkjugs with a .357 pistol and seeing what happens, I can more understand why some jurisdictions have no regulatory problem accepting that caliber as a deer round.

And that got me thinking...

I should put a scope on my Marlin 1894C, affectionately known as Gummint Cheez (I used Nancy Pelosi's tax rebate check to buy it, because I knew that would please her). The iron sights work just great, but/and there are places for rings to attach to...

The next question is, which scope? 4X is probably more than enough power, and that would also keep its size and weight down and keep the little carbine handy. Now I can spend anywhere from $30 to $1500 on this optic, but I want something between those extremes.

Leupold has a nice 4x fixed scope for $300. Is there a variety out there almost as good for $199?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I used an 1894C to take a 160 lb. 7 pointer last year. 4x was perfect. I used http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=102
for ammo, worked beautifully.

Tam said...

Hard to go wrong with a fixed 4.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Hey T-Bolt. Natchez Shooting Supplies is selling the Weaver K4 4x38 Fixed for $120.95 (plus S+H) in their Winter Catalog. Price is good through 31 Jan. 2011. Don't know how good the quality is though, but 90% of the scopes seems to be made by "Furiner's" anymore, so it is what it is. Hope this helps.

Anonymous said...

I am a fanboy for Carl Zeiss. However, I looked at a Redfield recently (they got bought) and it was not bad and certainly cheaper

Ritchie said...

Most gun shows will have someone selling a 4x scope for 2 digits. Sometimes you can find a good selection.If it's a good name brand the risk is minimal.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I have never seen a good brand name for a scope at a gun show. But i will look again. You are right about the double digits. But I am a little leery of a scope that is 10x-26x and costs $19.95

Crowndot said...

I have a Marlin 1892CS ("Cowboy Special"!) .38 Spl./.357 Mag. from back in the 1990's when they had microgroove rifling. I put a Williams peep sight on it (WGRS-336). The aperture sight was a huge improvement over the original open sight. Just a thought. Good hunting!