Monday, October 27, 2008

Center Axis Relock

Center Axis Relock.

Hmmm, this shooting method seems counter intuitive to everything learned/practiced/known/heard about pistol shooting since Cooper and Weaver changed the world. And it sounds like new-fangled point shooting. Sounds like a spray and pray method that will lead to a lot of misses.

I say spray and pray because one of the sources I checked says you can empty a whole mag in less than 4 seconds. Odd, that. But that might not be the official dogma. I hope hits are the dogma, not bangs.

But there are proponents, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now.

What it is, is a fighting system that keeps your firearm close to your body. Your body is 'bladed' or turned severely. You support hand forearm is parallel to you your body, elbow bent more than 90 degrees when presenting. You shooting hand forearm is parallel to the deck and the elbow is up and kinda back. You arm is in line with the barrel, and the gun is canted a little bit, butt of the pistol out. Because you are not fully extended the rear of the gun is much closer you your face. If I try this out I better watch I don't get smacked when it recoils.

These bent elbows and close-in hold are ostensible to give you better mechanics and firmer control. And it's more compact, making it harder to bad guys to deflect or snatch your weapon when in close combat like a mugging situation. At the rest position the weapon is held on your chest, so you can carry that way, almost casually, easily, cradled.

It's hard to describe. Better check what few bits of information are available on teh web. Here is a description from a point shooting website, and here is the guy that teaches the Center Axis Relock system.

Disadvantages for the Police and Soldiers are the exposure of a flank toward a target that may be shooting back, That flank isn’t armored, or armored as well. But that doesn’t matter to me or regular people, or to CCW types. We generally never have armor.

Disadvantages for people carrying firearms with less ammo capacity. It sounds like you can empty even a 15 round mag pretty fast. But cops are doing that with any stance. And if there is more control you should be getting hits, now, right?

Other disadvantages. They don't seem to teach the technique to civilians, (Bad form, wot wot.)

Youtube has video:




Look at that and what do you think about me shooting close to the body, 'high position'? See anything wrong with me specifically? Yeah, I'm left handed. Brass would bounce off the sternum, but I can do the extended position left handed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My first impression was WTF. But I can see how it would be useful in some very specific situations when potential threat is so close that extending a weapon could cause the threat to grab it.

On the other hand, if a LEO has a threat withing elbow striking distance and have a pistol drawn, are they likely to try hitting the threat or start shooting? I am not a LEO but I imagine most would start shooting.

Unknown said...

I think it has merits, as a close-quarters position. But it is one in which I think would work in a squad tactic. You're in close quarters nailing any guy you walk into. Meanwhile, supporting squadmates are laying down more accurate cover fire to take out targets in the distance.

- N.U.G.U.N.