Tuesday, October 28, 2008

My Oath

I served in the military. I took an Oath. I administed that Oath to others. Nothing discharged me from that Oath, and I still take it seriously, as do many veterans.


I do solemly swear that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to regulations and the Uniformed Code of Military Justice, and that I make this obligation freely, without any mental reservations or purpose of evasion, and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties upon which I am about to enter, so help me God.

A simple oath, isn't it? But one with weighty responsibilities. I am fully aware, and trained regarding which orders are legal and which are not. Orders contrary to the Contitution, and others, are illegal, I am honor bound not to obey illegal orders, and my judgement is counted upon to distinguish which are which. The People are counting on my judgement, then, when I took that Oath, and now.

I am no longer a Naval Officer. I am a mere civilian. Yet the Oath still applies.

Some people never took that Oath, yet live by its precepts, instinctively.

I am ever mindful of that Oath. And I would sooner go to any extreme, even unto death, to uphold it.

There are others like me. Mere ordinary civilians, going about their daily lives, that forget about the Oath sometimes, but deep down it is always there. Waiting. Waiting to remind us about the assumed burden, taken willingly. It is a responsibility bigger than all of us, collectively. It can not be ignored. Ever. Not without hazarding our souls, our word, our sacred honor.

Some of you reading this understand, Some do not. Regardless, it is there. And those that have made it take it very seriously.

===


Sorry to get all solemn and stuff. It is what it is. This is America, and it's not like dire things are afoot or anything. I just put it out there as an informational announcement. And so it goes.

Also, see item #4 on the goals list, right hand side of blog.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a talk with my wife about this the other day...about how, when I transferred to the Fleet Reserve, I was not released from my oath. How, even when I formally retire in a few years, I'll still be honor bound to fulfill it.

How, some things are simply more important than the life of one man...or the lives of hundreds...thousands...tens of thousands.

The end result of the discussion was that we decided she needs to get to the range more because if it comes to it, she's determined to fight, and die if necessary, beside me.

You're not alone my friend.

Anonymous said...

Took that oath over 20 years ago. Don't remember it having an expiration date.

Bob S. said...

Bolt,

The others have said it very well. I too took that oath and haven't stopped taking it seriously 23 years after I left active duty.

Anonymous said...

I was an officer in the USAF for 9 years, and while I laud the sentiment, I'm no longer sure that many parts of the oath should reasonably apply. Like obeying the President. When I was in the service, the President could walk up to me and tell me to get a hair cut. But as a civilian I can tell him to jump in the lake.

Also, I'm no longer bound by the UCMJ, and don't feel particularly bound to follow those parts that have no parallel in civil law.

Also, I can't agree that national defense is primarily my job anymore. I certainly will pay my taxes to support national defense, but I've done my bit on active duty and I feel service to my country is more appropriate in other arenas now.

Anonymous said...

ZZ:

The oath says that "I will obey the orders of the President of the United States...according to regulations and the Uniform Code of Military Justice..."

Section 801, article 2 of the UCMJ spells out specifically who is subject to the its provisions. If you are not in one of the listed categories, then you are not "subject to this chapter" and, therefore, are not bound to obey the "Orders of the President of the United States and the Officers Appointed over you."

The part of the oath where you swore to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic" holds no such caveat.

Anonymous said...

One minor point...you are a citizen, not a civilian. Citizens have all the rights of citizenship while civilians do not.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Looks like you are still on the hook, Mr. Top.

Anonymous said...

Many of us still hold the 'oath' dear to our hearts...and shall not forget it.