Saturday, October 25, 2008

Stance Considerations

This is the closest to my natural stance.

The Modified Weaver:






So maybe I'm doing something right, comfrtable and instinctively. I think mine is closer to Chapman stance, if the only difference in presentation between Weaver and Chapman is in Weaver your elbows are bent and in Chapman your shooting arm is straight and locked.

Hat tip to Xavier.

I'm still a n00b. Not too late to fix myself and get a better stance/grip. But I may be fine, based on that video.

Police like it because the holstered pistol is away from an interview-ee. It's also harded to push a cop over when one foot is back. They can give a shove with the off-hand while unholstering their weapon if the subject if particularly rambunctious.

I have been studying other ideas and here are some links:

You saw Xavier's link and the same instructor shows regular Weaver and Isoceles.

Cornerd Cat shows a standard few stances pictorially.

Pro-Gun Progrssive's guy, Tactical Shooting, has a different grip and stance system. Fist-Fire.

Brian Enos has and extensive set of shooting tips and fundamentals.

Janis Cortese has a similar pictorial as Cornered Cat

A Police Link sight has some info, too.

And I believe Todd Jarrett of Blackwater/Para Gunblogger Training Fame prefers and teaches a form of Isoceles style, mainly for the freedom is give to engage a wider angle down range, left and right. If you turn 45 degrees it is harder to shoot at target that pop on the support hand side because you have turned away from that side. Jarret is different that 1970s Police style isocelese in having the shoulders forward, over the hips, and knees bent. I think. He's also not perfectly square on to the target, as the shooting hand side foot is back a few inches, not the foot and a half I use.

Anecdotal reports are that Law Enforcement are going back to a modified Isoceles, too, from the Weaver.

As I read around I am finding that the Weaver stance, once considered absolutely state of the art, is now Old Skool, and even trite by the very impressive run and gun competitors. I'm conservative in my shooting (hence choosing a long M1A over an AR carbine type rifle) so it would be natural I'd be somewhat old school. I'm not going so far back into the hoary mists of time and adopting old-school point shooting or one handed shooting with the off hand in my hip pocket. Or even further back and shooting a single shot breech loader in prone with my body lined up with the target axis. But I could be convinced and change over to ISO pistol shooting. I'll have to experiment.

Undeniably, both stances can get the job done.

It would take a lot more to get me to switch to carbines... I'd have to be drafted, I think.

No comments: