Thursday, October 23, 2008

Update on that rifle range post

I should mention that I should have paid closer attention to my NPOA. Natrual Point of Aim. Whenever I did check, and I did several times, I noticed I was continually off to the right. That may explain the leaning to the right on the targets even more than a bad windage adjustment. The wind WAS brisk, but it was coming from that side, so I can't blame that for blowing 7.62x51mm rounds off center.

Natural Point of Aim is simple to determine, and I am pretty sure I am doing it right. Take your position and aim for the bullseye. Once you are comfortable you are on, close your eyes, relax, and count to ten. The open your eyes and look to see if the front sight is still pointing at the bullseye. It should be. Mine was often to the right. I'd shift my hips over and do the check again. It was still right, generally, but better. I should have made my NPOA spot on.

2 comments:

Bob S. said...

Bolt,

Thanks for explaining, I haven't gotten into rifles yet. But that will be something that I remember.

I appreciate it when you post tips and this type of information. It is very helpful

Less said...

I shoot more air rifle than anything due to $$$ factors. Truth be told that the act of getting on sights is the same with .308 as it is with .177... Also, I can shoot ~100 shots and not get fatigued like with .308.

I also like .22 for practice, but I can shoot the .177 in my backyard.

If you're serious about developing NPOA, check this book out:

Ways of the Rifle by Eckhardt, Buhlmann, and someone else...

Pilkguns.com (site is down for some reason today) usually stocks it, but Amazon had one copy.

Over the past two months, I've come a long way in my kneeling and offhand positions: Air Rifle Practice

I usually shoot at 2" diameter wooden dowel ends (round ball) now, but the UPC symbol hit is not trickery, that's average results...