Sunday, October 12, 2008

Hoplophobia

It’s all around. And it’s quite dispiriting.

I carry a pocketknife. It’s small. One blade, less than 3 inches. Much less. Closer to 2. I don’t like to take it out of my pocket at work because of what happened the other day.

Someone had ordered lunch for a few people and it came in a plastic grocery bag, tied off in a knot. After watching her struggle to untie it, I handed the pocket knife over to her. Another co-worker FREAKED. She escalated her wig-out to just shy of shouting, “OHMYGOD he will kill us all!” and “SOMEONE GET SECURITY!”

All over a tiny knife, suitable to cut the string off of packages, and to scrape under your fingernails.

This is not the first time this has happened. The last time it was over a smaller knife with a blade half an inch long. I’d be more of a physical threat wielding my SHOE as a weapon, if that is what you are worried about.

We work around computers. El Freako-Out hysterical woman has built computers from components. The room is filled with people with Swiss Army knives in their desks, and you can see 2 guys from her desk wearing a belt with a Leatherman style multi-tool on it. You NEED something to work on a computer, is why. A small screwdriver, as offered by those tools, works just fine for occasional use. And BOTH tools have a longer blade than my pocketknife. No one looks twice at them.

How do you fight against that sort of histrionics? Do I reassure her and people like her by saying, “Don’t worry, when I go on a workplace killing spree I’m going to use something like a flower pot as a blunt object weapon, or a shoe lace as a garrote. I sorta feel I owe to the gun enthusiasts I know NOT to use a knife or a gun and draw more calls for gun-control.” It’s not like I’d hurt a fly at work. And I’ve never seen a co-worker assault a co-worker in anyway, so it is pretty rare already. If EVERYONE at work carried sheathed 30 inch cavalry sabers sharp enough to shave with she’d be as safe. Even in a shouting match argument.

These people are EVERYWHERE. People with this irrational fear of weapons. What is she going to do if CCW passes in Maryland and there are half a dozen unknown-to-her people in the room with a pistol on their hip? If I didn’t have a pocketknife, how could she trust me not to hurt her with just my hands?

How do you combat such ignorance? I’ve thought of making fun of them for being chicken. I’ve thought of reasoning. Both seem like a waste of time. Constant exposure to the objects of their fear to desensitize a hoplophobe seems like the only way. In other words, Open Carry. And the wisdom of Open Carry is a bone of contention, even with gun-enthusiasts. The appropriateness, the etiquette. The desire not to go too far, too fast, trying to gain acceptance by constant exposure. No one is concerned when a Cop open-carries, they shouldn't be concerned when a known friend and neighbor does. Especially at a public youth sporting event, that some sicko might want to make the news by harming a pack of unarmed and defenseless children and parents to gain infamy and satisfy his sick desires.

Personally, I'm all for more people appropriately, calmly, politely, Open Carrying, in a low key manner. A slip up can set back all our progress on this. And it wouldn't have to be from one of "us." Some ignoramus could push the whole country back to the 1970s in NATIONAL gun attitude with one mistake that the anti-civil-rights people, like the Bradys, would jump on with both feet, wringing every angle out of to within an inch of Lady Liberty's life. I'm betting the lady at the Soccer Field that got all the bad press that everyone that is against her are going off of details published my the Mainstream Media. In other words, erroneously cast in the worst light. Chances are, she WAS being responsible. I don't know how to pre-empt such an event, but we should all think on it. Carefully. And Open Carry, appropriately, calmly... etc.

But Open Carry is no solution, in my case. The State won’t allow that. We're working on that. Some council moving to a more gun friendly place, but wouldn't it be better to expand the freedom rather than bunker into enclaves?

If Maryland went Open Carry and Conceal Carry tomorrow, as if by magic, the reason I'd prefer Conceal is to not attract attention and be more tactically effective that way... but that doesn't help tamp down hoplophobic attitudes.

See? I'm torn. Not sure which way to turn if given the chance. It'd depend on the location.

9 comments:

West, By God said...

I was gonna respond, but it got too long, so I posted my thoughts here.

breda said...

The more I carry concealed the more I consider open carry. I am not responsible for other people's fear. I am legally allowed OC in my state and honestly think that responsible, calm, polite open carry (especially by those who don't fit the "gun nut" stereotype) will help more than it will hurt.

I just have to work up enough courage to do it.

James R. Rummel said...

"The more I carry concealed the more I consider open carry. I am not responsible for other people's fear. I am legally allowed OC in my state and honestly think that responsible, calm, polite open carry (especially by those who don't fit the "gun nut" stereotype) will help more than it will hurt."

Violent crime drops in a state after concealed carry laws are passed. The people who benefit the most are women, who ironically are less likely to apply for a CCL.

How do women benefit the most? The largest drop is in sexual crimes such as rape. Those who have a taste for this odious crime are, at heart, cowards. The uncertainty of whether or not their victim is armed has an inflated effect.

This only works, however, if criminals are left in the dark about who is armed.

People who push the open carry issue are trying to combat seven decades of anti-weapon propaganda, mainly by showing that fear of weapons in responsible hands is both silly and hurtful. I certainly understand that.

But I have spent my entire adult life striving to combat violent crime. Reducing the number of victims just seems to me to be more important.

James

Anonymous said...

In a society in which personal responsibility is avoided, blame more naturally falls on inanimate objects with lethal potential, such as firearms or knives. Especially when there are politicians who seek to control people by demonizing these weapons. I gotta feeling it's not going to get any better anytime soon.

Anonymous said...

In VA we can open carry in restaurants and bars if the owners allow it. There are groups that do organized dinners at eateries that allow open carry:

http://tinyurl.com/536htc

I have a Conceal Carry Permit. If I go out to eat with my wife I either leave it in the car or leave my coat and open carry.

I think they usually believe I am a cop. (White guy in late 40's)

Anonymous said...

James,

Do you think the site of some people openly carrying generates thought of 'who else might be carrying' in criminals?

I would think open carry helps in that regard and also in letting the criminals know armed people are available to respond to cries of help.

I can see the benefit of concealed carry, don't get me wrong but I'm hard pressed to see how there is a down side to open carry; unless concealed carry is forbidden if there open carry allowed.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

If I made the rules, and I could wave my hands and alter Maryland law, I might only wish for Conceal-Carry only in this state. Of course I'd also make it where if you are 'made' the penalty is minor at just a warning. It would just be easier to eliminate my choices, Open or Concealed, to just Concealed. Plenty of other states are carrying the Open-Carry water and perhaps they should continue to do so. Baby steps for the state of Maryland. Let people get used to one idea before introducing another.

Anonymous said...

Bolt,

How many of your casual friends know you are into firearms or would carry concealed if allowed?

I see it as a chance to show how "normal" people are into guns. In the story of the soccer mom, I see the biggest problem as the police over reaction. Had the police simply told the other parents it was legal, it would have gone a long ways to reducing the holophobia. Here is a woman the people know, even if casually, carrying and not hurting anyone. It's difficult to think of firearms being bad when the person in charge of snacks and juice carries one, right?

That is why I think Open Carry is a good idea. Let people see firearms and see them in a neutral light. Not carried by cops or crooks, just the average people.

Anonymous said...

I'd hate to see what would happen with my knife then. Its a an 'assisted' CRKT M4-16 which, when flicked just right, springs open with a satisfying click. Its shark-like teeth probably wouldn't help calm her down any either.

As far as open carry goes, I applaud those who do it, but tactically it doesn't make any sense to show the badguys what I have in store for them. Surprise counts for alot in a situation.