Tell us after you get done reading it, should be by tomorrow. That is if you start tonight. My opinion, it is pretty good for a first novel. I will also be buying the next one.
"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer."
It's the literary equivalent of the kind of fun, cheesy B-movie horror flick that has the whole drive-in theater yelling "Oh HELL yeah!" when a monster gets blown to smithereens - with an unlimited special effects budget(because they are all in your head).
Why did I have a reaction different than most other gunbloggers? Mainly because those other gunbloggers kept saying how FANTASTIC! AMAZING! BEST EVER! the book happened to be. Obviously, I don't think it was.
The author is very talented, and I certainly don't want to take anything away from his success. He was also kind enough to tell me that the very things I found annoying in his story were exactly what he was trying to achieve.
Keep your expectations low (very low) and you should enjoy it well enough. It should go double if you assume that of course (OF COURSE!! the 1911 is the very best handgun design EVER!
Gun Nuts Radio (aka "The Breda and Caleb Show") had an interview with the author a couple of months ago. It's a fair preview of the book and what it's about.
It really does depend upon what you're expecting out of the book.
I don't think it was any sort of novel that will stand the test of time and become a classic for the ages. While a thicker book, it is a fairly light and easy read and can go quickly.
And while I wasn't thinking too much of the book at first, TXGunGeek above did lend me his copy and I forced myself to read it. After a few chapters I found myself getting pulled in by all the action and instead of going to bed I'd say to myself "just one more chapter". It did suck me in.
It has a ton of action, and the inner-gunny in you will be so tickled by the gun-play in the book.
I would love to see the book made into movie... it's got that kind of action and play that would just make for a dumb but fun and action-packed movie.
In the end I did enjoy it and wouldn't mind reading another book from the author. YMMV
To be confident and competent enough with a rifle to be able to hit anything I can see in a Jovian Thunderbolt kind of way.
To be able to defend myself with a handgun.
To perhaps harvest some tasty venison with either a rifle or a shotgun, any skin or antler is just a nice bonus, here.
And, if necessary: To Defend the Ramparts of Democracy from a Level 4 Zombie Outbreak or against the Jacobin, Rampaging, Godless, Red-Commie Hordes (or their modern equivalent.)
"You never select a shotgun as your primary anti-zombie firearm. It's great for onesy twosey, but zombies travel in hordes. The reload time is onerous, and the ammo, while effective, is heavy and bulky and short ranged."
Big Mistake for Her
If Ginsberg had let Scalia put the words "strict scrutiny" in Heller and Hillary said "Gun control is just not going to be a priority for my administration," Hillary would have been elected President.
People I Hit F5 on all day, hoping for more content...
No Statistical Threshold
-
Quote of the Day Armed Self-Defense Belongs in the Public Record The CDC’s
correction does not establish an exact annual count or mean every defensive
gun ...
Weekend Knowledge Dump- October 9, 2026
-
Knowledge to make your life better. If you have some free time, check out
some of these links this weekend. Run It Like A Violin – Shotgun Reloads
Until...
The M4A1 Carbine Evolution
-
The M4A1 is one of the most recognizable U.S. military carbines of the
modern era. Still, the weapon that entered service in the 1990s is not
quite the sam...
About Those Odds Of Civil Unrest
-
...Maybe they just went up. Consider the source, but the source's
source is a well-respected Denver TV news station.
The world is such a giant s...
Cancer update
-
So they sent me for a PET scan, to see if the cancer had spread. It
hadn't. Nice.
A PET scan is kind of like an MRI, but first they inject a die that g...
Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make Link Updates
-
Some of the links to Serious Mistakes Gunowners Make have become unworkable
over the years. The buttons have the current link and take my readers
directly ...
What caliber for Optimus?
-
Yeah, I’ve not been blogging in a long time. But AI has happened in the
interim. I use it. I like it. It’s certainly made my life easier and more
entertain...
The New Resistance to the 2A
-
You can see the resistance is shaping up around “sensitive places” doctrine
and “good moral character.” I remember seeing a comment from Prof. Adam
Winkler...
Eighteen Years Ago Today...
-
Eighteen years ago today, my son was born. TheBoy entered the collective
conscious, bringing "father" to the list of names I proudly wear. He's off
to the ...
We the people of the United States, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
11 comments:
DUH!
Hello?!? McFly?!?! IS it any good? That's like asking if Prime Rib is any good. hmmmph!!
Tell us after you get done reading it, should be by tomorrow. That is if you start tonight. My opinion, it is pretty good for a first novel. I will also be buying the next one.
"Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer."
I'm half-way through it. Really enjoyable. I mean, it ain't War & Peace, but then I don't want to read War & Peace :)
It's the literary equivalent of the kind of fun, cheesy B-movie horror flick that has the whole drive-in theater yelling "Oh HELL yeah!" when a monster gets blown to smithereens - with an unlimited special effects budget(because they are all in your head).
It really is a blast.
I was extremely disappointed.
Why did I have a reaction different than most other gunbloggers? Mainly because those other gunbloggers kept saying how FANTASTIC! AMAZING! BEST EVER! the book happened to be. Obviously, I don't think it was.
The author is very talented, and I certainly don't want to take anything away from his success. He was also kind enough to tell me that the very things I found annoying in his story were exactly what he was trying to achieve.
Keep your expectations low (very low) and you should enjoy it well enough. It should go double if you assume that of course (OF COURSE!! the 1911 is the very best handgun design EVER!
Gun Nuts Radio (aka "The Breda and Caleb Show") had an interview with the author a couple of months ago. It's a fair preview of the book and what it's about.
BTW, I really enjoyed the book. YMMV.
Define "good".
It really does depend upon what you're expecting out of the book.
I don't think it was any sort of novel that will stand the test of time and become a classic for the ages. While a thicker book, it is a fairly light and easy read and can go quickly.
And while I wasn't thinking too much of the book at first, TXGunGeek above did lend me his copy and I forced myself to read it. After a few chapters I found myself getting pulled in by all the action and instead of going to bed I'd say to myself "just one more chapter". It did suck me in.
It has a ton of action, and the inner-gunny in you will be so tickled by the gun-play in the book.
I would love to see the book made into movie... it's got that kind of action and play that would just make for a dumb but fun and action-packed movie.
In the end I did enjoy it and wouldn't mind reading another book from the author. YMMV
It's a good vacation beach read which, strangely enough, is where I read it.
It's good enough.
Post a Comment