Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Century

Hey, January is half a month away. That the start of 2011. One hundredth anniversary of the Army adoption of the .45 Colt automatic pistol, designed by John Browning (pbuh).

So, what kind of 1911 are you gonna buy next year to celebrate?

Followers of this blog know I’m kinda sweet on getting a Combat Commander. A shortened 1911, but still all steel. I know, I know, getting anything but a Gov’t size on this anniversary is a bit less traditional, but how many of youse are going PURE original and getting a 1911 in pre-WWI configuration? I didn’t think so.

Now, what KIND of Commander sized 1911 will I get? Well, it will either be a very expensive near full custom job or just off the rack semi-budget Springfield. (It's 'budget' compared to custom...)

If custom, I’d make the safety on the left hand side of the pistol that you right handers use be super small and streamlined and the other side largish. Definitely a melt job, too. Finish? Haven’t decided. There are pluses and minuses to all stainless, but this is going to ostensibly be a carry 1911. And the basic Springfield version of this gun in my configuration is the Loaded Champion in Stainless steel, 4” barrel, part # PX9142LP. A cool grand or so. Yeep.



I’ll get a quality holster with it too. Probably ox-blood in color. I have an all black IWB carry holster, so a different color will make it easier to tell at a glance what I am looking at.

At least I've centered on a specific model number for The List.

8 comments:

Boat Guy said...

As it happens mine will be an alloy-framed Commander; a Wiley Clapp version from the Colt shop.
You have one of the BEST holster makers in the country near you; Mike Meredith of Pocket Concealment Systems. Mike frequently uses horsehide and makes GREAT concealment rigs - and will dye them in cordovan color. I've used his stuff for over a decade; as my "business attire" carry rigs for full size Govt Model and SIG 226.

Robb Allen said...

If things go as planned, I won't be purchasing a 1911... I'll be building it from scratch. As in "here your chunk of metal, get carving".

I get giddy just thinking about it.

Bubblehead Les. said...

If it doesn't come with Tritium Sights in the package, I'd add a set. Never can tell when a Zed may come at you during the night. As for the finish, since it's going to be Stainless, I'd look through the Durocoat catalog and see what catches your fancy. Also, take a look at some of the custom grips out there. Plus an ammo carrier with at least 2 spare magazines.

Arthur said...

"There are pluses and minuses to all stainless"

Besides the additional price of stainless, what would you consider to be a 'minus'?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

too shiny

David said...

Just got mine, a couple weeks early. Springfield Champion PX9149LP...the black over OD model, alloy framed. Used but truly like new, with Davidson grips and an Evolution Gun Works trigger kit. Took it straight to the range after I picked it up, and it is suh-weet. It is my new all-the-time carry gun.

Guess that means 2011 came early for me...

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Laura said...

i'm picking up my first 1911 in 2011, but i'm going to piss off nearly every 1911 faithful out there and get a Para GI Expert ESP.