Sunday, January 30, 2011

Goin to the well again

Yet another request to ask my readers.  Both of you.

I have a guilty confession to make.  I bought Monster Hunter: Vendetta when it came out, but haven't read it yet.

I know, I KNOW.  I enjoyed the first book, but haven't yet been in the mood for a ripping, fantastic, gun filled, violent adventure.  You can understand when you know I just finished Wodehouse's Code of the Woosters, Allistair Cooke's America, and David Sedaris' latest offering (not sure what I was thinking with this last...)

See what I mean?  I don't think I have it in me to take on Correia's work.  It'd be a shock to the system.

I need encouragement.

8 comments:

bluesun said...

Oh, man, do it! And while you're at it Baen just released the first Grimnoire Chronicles as an eARC.

Robert McDonald said...

OK, I shot off a quick email to R. Lee Ermey* to see if I could get you some encouragement. He responds, and I quote:

"READ THE DAMN BOOK, NUMBNUTS!! WHAT KIND OF PANSY ISN'T ALWAYS IN THE MOOD FOR RIPPING, FANTASTIC, GUN FILLED ADVENTURE?!"

I think you should listen.

*I kid, but that would be one hell of a motivational speaker in my humble opinion.

JB Miller said...

Man up, Nancy! Read the book, dammit!

Hey, can I borrow the first one?

Arthur said...

"Baen just released the first Grimnoire Chronicles as an eARC."

Heh, my eyelids are making scraping noises every time I blink. I was up till 6am this morning reading that one.

So JTB, read Vendetta then start on Hard Magic. There's zombies in both so you should be good to go.

Jon said...

Read it. It's good. Hippies would cry if they read it, so there's all the encouragement you should really need.

Bubblehead Les. said...

With money tight, I have to wait for the paperback, so if you have the book, read the damn thing, then let me borrow it. Besides, there's another Snowmaggedden coming Mid-Week, and since you'll be stuck inside like half the country.....

Bob said...

Personally I thought that MHV was a sort of jump the shark effort by Correia. He just crammed too much into it.

If you want a good alternative you might try Old Man's War by John Scalzi. It's a tribute to Heinlein's Starship Troopers.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I did enjoy that Scalzi series, Bob.