Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Witness

I think I have talked about the movie Witness before.  1985 Harrison Ford (as Detective John Book) in Amish country, hiding from bad cops.  Coulda swore I did a mention of it here a while back, but I can't find it.  Anyway.

I caught a piece of it again, channel surfing.

And I noticed a new detail.

Book's brass looks OLD...


Look how tarnished they are.  Never thought about that til now.

Sure sure, he is a big city detective.  No call to shoot anybody really.  Probably bought those 10 years ago and they've been sitting in his gun.

But wait... he had just had a shootout.  Those would be the second set.  Those 6 are his reloads.  Been sitting in his pocket for 10 years.

If he did have to qualify at the police range, he might get away with using a full length Model 10 for better accuracy and score, and those semi wadcutter round nose still wouldn't get used.  That's what I'd do, if allowed.  So in the pocket they sat.  Ostensibly.  I doubt the movie makes thought that much about.  But they have a lot of attention to detail elsewhere.  Ford and McGuillis manage to emote when there is a close up on the BACKS of their heads.  And I see a lot more knowing looks from all sorts of tertiary characters.

Is that one primer dimpled?  Hollywood.




2 comments:

.45ACP+P said...

Lead round nose? Really? The in load "in" those days was either Federal Hydra-shock or a hand load of 148 grain inverted wad cutters. They did know what hollow points were.....

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Is it round nose? Or is that the semi wadcutter shoulder on those bullets?

I only knew one buddy whose dad was a cop in the early 80s. Dunno that I ever saw the bullet tips he had. My impression was round nose, but I can't swear to that.