Wednesday, March 17, 2021

Pince nez

 And palimpsest.

I’ve seen those words, as printed words, most of my literate life.  But I have only heard them pronounced this week.  Not what I expected. One of those "I was today years old" things.

From a librivox recording.  A Sherlock Holmes story, The Adventure of the Golden Pince-Nez, and Kristin Hughes is a wonderful podcast narrator.   Very crisp and precise reading voice.

And taking joy in the language.  On today, an Irish holiday.  A nation with a plethora of people that also revel in the written word. 

But I use these, myself, for reading.  I thought I had them in a 0.5 diopters correction, but the lowest they sell now is 1.0.  Nooz.




1 comment:

Angus McThag said...

Careful learning pronunciation from actors.

Cyclic isn't pronounced "sick-lick" and cache isn't pronounced like cachet, but you will find several instances of dancing monkeys getting it wrong.