Monday, December 20, 2021

In my reading

 I vary between fiction and non-fiction.  (Well, duh….)

No, I mean I usually read a bunch from one column, get tired of that, then switch to the other for a while.

Binge History and technical stuff for a week or three, then binge Fiction.  

Same with the video screen.  Mudlarking, WWI history, and horology, then Ralph Bakshi and John Ford movies.  Cowboy Bebop.

"Horology, T-Bolt?  Is that about…."

It's about clockmaking.

"Oh. Ohhhhh.  Right.  Of course."

Recently?  Sanctuary, Gene Wolfe, Dickens (Christmas Carol, then Copperfield).  Not highbrow at all.  Well, Gene Wolfe is.  

And non-fiction?  Ungentlemanly Warfare, The Fall of Dachau (I know the grandson of this guy), Combat Engineer (huh... WWII heavy) Blood on the Ohio, How to Run a Lathe.



2 comments:

Glypto Dropem said...

I visited Dachau in March 2004. 59 years after liberation, walking through there and visiting the museum was gut wrenching. Man's inhumanity to man on full display, and if it doesn't make you weep as you walk through, there is something wrong with you.

Jonathan H said...

I was there in 1995. It really hit me. I can't imagine what it would have been like in 1945.
And don't forget it was a "minor" work camp, not a death camp...