Thursday, December 30, 2021

It's a Wonderful Life

Some YouTube movie reaction videos I enjoy watching.  Like young people watching It's a Wonderful Life for the first time.  I just find it enjoyable, like introducing someone myself to that movie for the first time.  In a way I get to experience this great flick for the first time but through their eyes.  In a way.  You know what I mean?

Anyway.  I like it.

I always get choked at the beginning for Mr. Gower's prayer.  Well, the second time I watched the movie, and knew what was coming.  The T-Bolts come from a Druggist background from that time.  My great great grandfather was an alpine dairyman, then a New York cheesemaker, his sons were druggists, and my grandfather was Kresge's man  

But no one born in the 90s ever know what a 'run on the bank' means. Even after Covid grocery/terlet-paper shopping in April 2020.  That scene is confusing to them.

Why do I know what a bank run is?  I've known since high school at least.  History class?  I'm sure.  I didn't hear about from Grandparents.  There hasn't been a real 'run' in my lifetime.  Not really since FDR, has there?  And the invnetion of FDIC insurance, I suppose.  

"To my big brother, George!  The richest man in town!"


These Canadians are adorable:


2 comments:

Marty said...

We watch it every year. It always makes me misty...

Windy Wilson said...

Some movies are perennials. It's a wonderful life, Miracle on 34th Street, though my mom hated that film for reasons never explained.

Another film I'd like to see again for the first time is "The Sting", just for that moment of anticlimax at the end, before the con man playing the FBI agent says over Johnny Hooker, "He's gone", and you realize he was talking TO him and not about him.