Thursday, December 16, 2021

Master List 4

Getting simpler over time. Had a half dozen of so on Master List #2.  Fewer on #3

In order of desire...

  1.  A .45ACP rifle with a big honking suppressor.  DeLisle repro
  2. I kinda jones for S&W Model 65 with a 3 inch barrel?  K Frame, "the perfect carry revolver".
  3. A .308 rifle good for hunting, with glass.  A tikka?  
  4. S&W Model 625.

And I am just sorta spitballing now.  If I happened in to my favorite gun store and Tom said, "Hey, we just got this in" and it was one of the above?  Credit card snap.  I can't think of anything else that would do that.  Not in the sub $3000 range.  

---

I'd buy a $10,000 gun, but I'd have to think on it.  I just can't think of a gun that price I would want.  Working BARs go for much more.

Am I weird for wanting a relatively low magnification fixed power scope for a hunting rifle.  4x can get you pretty close to the action for any venison.  And sniping bad guys...  Hell 500 yards is pretty far and Marines routinely quality at that range over iron sights.  A 4X ACOG is pricy, but all decent scopes are pricey.  Kinda weird hunting with a bolt action and ACOG combo.  But why not?

Though it is not like I am going to go rifle hunting anytime in my future.  No, wait, you never know.  A hunting trip could fall in my lap, some season, somehow.  "I'll drive you to my buddy's lodge in West Virginia, we'll hunt and then cigars and bourbon.  The stands are a easy stroll from the warm comfy beds."



5 comments:

Daddy Hawk said...

Yes, marines (usually guys in their 20s with good eyesight) can shoot out to 500 with irons or red dots. I also recall seeing video of a young man in Germany who shoots pigs on the run with a bolt action rifle topped with a red dot. That does not mean it’s the best option for someone with a few more years on the odometer. Why limit yourself if you don’t have to? A 4x will do fine for 100 yards and in, but why not a 3-9 or 4-12 variable for more versatility?

Having said that, I have pretty much the same 4 on my list (though the 3” 65 is a 66 on my list).

Miguel GFZ said...

Texas Department of Corrections surplus Model 65

https://gunfreezone.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/revolverapril2010a.jpg

Mike V said...

FWIW, I'd go with a 3" Model ^^. The sights are easier to see for us older guys.

Windy Wilson said...

I'd kind of like an M1941 Johnson rifle, but fifteen years ago $5,000 was too much. I can only imagine what they are now, and I'm no longer in a position to acquire one financially.

Jonathan H said...

I like the Burris 556 scope - 5x fixed power, very short, gives enough magnification to see your target better without so much that it's hard to find the target.