Friday, April 3, 2020

So, how YOU doin?

How's house arrest treating you?  You still alright?  I hope if you get it, it's the mild version.

I kinda wish I'd get exposed to a known carrier, but not get it.  Just be forced to stay home for 14 days.  Being essential has nice parts (I get paid) and bad parts (I DON'T WANNA GIT SICK AND DIE!)  At this point I need a rest.

I am reading this book right now.  The Good Shepherd.  C. S. Forester.  Re-reading it, actually.  Tom Hanks is in the movie of it coming out soon.  I may have mentioned it.  This is my third time, at least, reading this book over the past 30 years.  I am 10 years older than the protagonist and was an naval officer but it is only now that I have the life experience to properly follow it, I think.  To keep the ship's movements to mind while also evaluating leadership and ability of the people around me as we complete complicated tasks, some vitally important.

"Are you like him, T-Bolt, with your essential job, battling a dreaded foe.  Facing fearful odds?"

Nooooooooo, not exactly.  He in command.

"Oh so you are more like the Gunnery officer, spitting hot death at the enemy, the tip of the spear."

No.

"You help the guy spit hot death?"

More like I help one of the guys in the engine room keep things running down there.  The 'fun' stuff is all topside.  So to speak.  Like the guy that keeps the plumbing working at the Pentagon?  Try to run a war when that building has to all use portapotties.  CAN'T BE DONE!  Important work.  Not sexy.

---

Have you noticed that Blooger took away our spellcheck?  How does THAT save them money?

Anyway, time to make the donuts.

2 comments:

The Neon Madman said...

Well, I definitely don't want to get it, in any form. My wife and I are both immunosuppressed, 60+, with some breathing problems as it is. Even a mild form would be tough to take. As I understand things, we are a couple of weeks away from the peak here in Wisconsin.

The big problem is that there are so many transmission vectors - paper money and coins, gas pump handles, door knobs, touchpad food packages, etc. Unless you are a hermit in the forest, you can't be completely safe.

And for amusement and diversion, gutenberg.org and the Internet Archive are great resources. Just imagine where we would be without the internet.

Wilson said...

Like you, I’m in an “essential” business. Right now about 20% of my coworkers aren’t coming in. None of them have caught it, they’re just not coming in, which only makes the job harder for the rest of us. The commute has got much easier though. I’m getting home at least 10-15 minutes earlier now that most of America is on vacation.