Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Home Brewed

There have been lots of stuff, lately, about 3D printers to make receivers and magazines and smallish milling machine coupled with available CAD/CAM software.  Here is the latest I've seen.

I, like many gunnie type people, am a bit of a contrarian.  I have also dabbled in various industrial arts as a hobby.  Combine them both and I am liable to spend $20,000 on a machinery set up to roll my own $500 receiver for a 1911, or a M14, or a what have you.

Not a good return on my investment, but think of the blog fodder!

"I am relatively handy with tools and such, but nothing to write home about.  But I spent N and bought X Y and Z and a piece of metal and made THIS gun.  I made a buncha mistakes like A B and C and if you don't do that, you can save some of that money and minimize N.  If you only want to make parts for gun X you can save even more money..."

1 comment:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Read one of those articles, nice idea until you get to the barrel. Then you read "So I ordered a 16 inch Medium Contour..." Ooops. Guess that's a separate Technology that's not ready for the Home Hobbyist yet.

But to keep spare parts available, though, not too bad. If you know what steel you need, how it's heat treated, if your tooling can process it, if you know how to use Mics and Calipers and Depth Gauges.....

I was the "L" in my Dad's Machine Shop, "S+L Machine". One just doesn't buy a Machining Cell, throw in a Chunk of Steel, and expect a 1911 to appear.