Monday, October 17, 2011

They Shot Themselves in the Foot

With me.  Probably for all time.  I will never buy an M&P.  Why?  When I tried them, I shot them poorly compared to other guns.  This is mainly because of the HORRID trigger.  I'm not alone in this assessment.

Money quote by Gunbot!  "I can’t imagine Smith and Wesson selling a product with such a crappy trigger, when the fix is so simple."

I'm glad he solved a problem, but when I shop for firearms I avoid known problem guns.  One of his problems was the weight of the trigger pull.  That's less an issue for a non-race-gun Me, as long as it isn't too light or too firm.  But the grittiness and just the feel of it.  That's why, for me, S&W M&Ps are in this cubby hole, semi-permanently.  I will say that I like that they don't have that little tongue of a trigger safety like you find on Glocks or XD.  Never a fan of that on high round count practice sessions.  Other than that, BOOOOO, Smith and Wesson.

Same with revolvers with zit trigger-locks on them.  Booo.   I'd buy more new revolvers from them if not for the zit.  I did buy the zitted up 617, but that's merely for practice.  Come to think of it, of my S&W revolvers, that's the only one where I am the first owner.  Revolvers are expensive.  That scares people off.  Not me.  But to purposely make your revolvers less nice?  It's even an added expense for them.  I just don't understand the thinking at the post-Clinton S&W.  Who wants any of these bad features?  How does it sell them more guns at less cost to them?  It makes no sense.   

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

People have been buying 1911s with crappy triggers and have a smith fix them up for decades. Same can be done here easily.

I call double standard.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I've never touched a 1911 with a crappy trigger, yet, is the thing.

Or a S&W revolver with a crappy trigger, for that matter.

Tam said...

NJT,

"I've never touched a 1911 with a crappy trigger, yet, is the thing."

That says more about the number of 1911s you've touched or your judgment of trigger quality than anything else. ;)

FWIW, I've been carrying an M&P 9 for almost two months now; just haven't blogged about it. I shot with it at the last ToddG class. I'm pleased with it.

Bubblehead Les. said...

We get crappy triggers because of A) Lawyers (OMG! That GUN is too easy to shoot! Some Kid might get Hold of it!) and B) The old guy who used to sit at a bench all day and tune every pistol before it went out the door doesn't fit into the Modern Manufacturing Process. Remember, it doesn't have to Work, but it does have to Sell.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Dozens of 1911s! Well, 2 dozen is plural dozens, right? It's probably up close to 24 different 1911s by now.

And no one reaches into their range bag and yanks out their 1911 with a REALLY crappy trigger to share.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

But I've tried 3 M&Ps. Hated all 3.

Tam said...

Only thing I found that really needed fixing on the trigger out-of-the-box was the reset, which while feeling merely vague during dry-firing, was impossible to manage with live ammo. I was constantly either short-stroking it or slapping it. The Apex RAM fixed that.

Still, for a plastic 9mm bullet hose the trigger isn't bad, IMO; certainly better feeling to me than the average Glock unit. And that Apex RAM was a LOT cheaper than a set of C&S lockwork... :)

Laura said...

to add to the S&W semiauto nonfan group - i have NOT shot an M&P, but i have shot a Sigma, and omgewwwnothankyou sums up my opinion. i understand they improved the trigger only slightly between the two.

i guess i'm weird, though. i like a solid trigger. i don't like triggers with bendy bits or bits that stick out.

Keads said...

I'll chime in here. I got up close and personal with an M&P Pro Series during Todd Green's Aim Fast Hit Fast class. I was impressed enough to buy one to put my 25+ year old 1911 in semi retirement.

I did the Apex drop in mods and the trigger is wonderful!

Don't get me started on the trigger on the S&W Bodyguard .380 though!

Old NFO said...

I'll just stick with my 1911 :-)

Tam said...

Old NFO,

...which has had how much money put into the trigger? ;)

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I've shot NFOs 1911s. 2 of them. They were very nice triggers.