Friday, October 14, 2011

Mo' Foh-tay

And on that note...  Does anyone make a 1911 that shoots .40?  Hmmm.  I don't mean like the ultra compact Springfield EMP type.  But a full sized one.

I've seen very nice 1911s shoot .38 Super.  And this one shoots 9mm.  Sweet

The mags wouldn't be the same as a 1911, interchangeability wise.  Naturally.  And you'd get, what?  An extra round in a single stack mag?  Not much point at that.  Unless you REALLY loved the .40.  I'm in LIKE with the .40, not in LOVE. 

But for some reason, this thought intrigues me.  An all-metal, single-stack, not quite duty-sized, .40 of some flavor has for a while.  Kahr has a version, yes.  Word is, Springfield dropped them from their lineup a while back.

I don't know why I'm not satisfied.  Probably subconsciously looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.  At least I'm looking for hen's teeth.  If I was looking for something a little more common I'd be 'wasting' money on guns that turn out not to be magic when I get them

That's how I ended up with the Sig P229 DAK.  When I borrowed one I just shot those 2 magazines so darn well.  When I bought it, I didn't shoot it as well.  Such is life.  But I still shoot it ok, and would love to carry it more, but the thing IS a bit bulky.  I can't imagine carrying something that thick all the time.  If it was as thin as the 1911, but that smooth and that operating system...

15 comments:

ZerCool said...

Given that Kimber makes a 10mm, the technology exists.

I just googled ".40 1911" and found plenty of forum hits... Worth checking out.

Daddy Hawk said...

Para Ord makes one as does STI. Don't know of any others.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Just checked Para's site, they only make the Double Stack. Checked Les Baer's, he has a new Double Stack also, BUT he does sell .40 S+W Barrels. I have a funny feeling that if you want a Single Stack 1911 in .40 caliber, you're going to have to have someone make you one. But let's take a look at something first. The .40 S+W been out there for, what, 3 decades? Lots of guns still made in Double Stack, Poly Framed, etc. But those that WERE made in classic 1911 seemed to have disappeared. Why? Nobody wants them bad enough to keep the Production lines open.
Seriously, if you want a Single Stack .40 S+W, I'd recommend the Kahr. Having shot Zercool's, I was impressed. But, YMMV. Take Care.

cassierina said...

I've got a CZ-75 in fohtay caliber...12+1, all steel, high bore axis. Has similar ergonomics to the 1911 as well, all for a reasonable price (<$500). Just a thought.

That Guy said...

STI, Kimber, SVI, and... I know there are a few others.

Sport Pilot said...

Colt made quite a few Series 80 1911's in .40 S&W, plus and Delta Elite can be converted with a barrel and ejector.

Odysseus said...

STI make a 1911 in .40 and they aren't all an arm and a leg.

JD Rush said...

Google 1911-40-SME

Sig Single stack non funky slide, but does have the external extractor.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I don't know if I should take the advice from a zombie version of a popular conservative talk show host...

Mike W. said...

Dan Wesson makes a Pointman 7 in .40 S&W too.

Tam said...

Don't.

(Any 1911 will be less reliable in the shorter cartridges which need spacers in the magazine to function properly. If you've just got to have a 1911 that shoots .355" or .401" projectiles instead of .451", go with .38 Super or 10mm Auto instead of 9x19 or .40 S&W.)

Seriously, though, why .40?

Point to me on the Binky doll the magic place where .40 will kill a man and 9mm won't.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I dunno Tam. Just an itch that I pick at now and then.

Tam said...

As long as you understand it has no basis in actual terminal ballistics. ;)

Angus McThag said...

9x19 is ø0.356"
.40 S&W is ø0.400"

That means that a shot that's a miss by 0.044" with 9mm is a hit with .40!

It's simple math, why is it so hard to understand?

This is why .45 is so much better! It's almost 1/10" more "hitty".

Meds. I need my meds. Who keeps hiding my meds?

ZerCool said...

A minor point of correction to Les' comment above:
the Kahr he shot was a PM9, so single-stack 9mm.

If you're looking for a single-stack .40, it is worth looking for an older S&W 4053 or similar; I have one as one of my favoritest carry guns. It's an alloy-frame/steel-slide mid-size single-stack, 8+1 with a 4"ish barrel. Mine is DAO but I believe DA/SA models exist.