Monday, February 21, 2011

Extractor Tension

Extractor tension on my 1911?  Great, another thing I have to worry about that I just learned about now.

Well, it's not that upsetting.  I haven't had to worry about it because apparently it's fine in my 2 1911s, and I didn't monkey with them apart from cleaning or replace them.

I would think this would be an issue with ALL firearms...  Glock or 1911 or etc.

Now, I'm not having any problems now, and I know symptoms of extractor problems manifest in jams you never had before, FTE types, the dreaded Double Feed.  But is there anyway I can adjust a new extractor spring my ownself, and how would I learn how to do that?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

your banner is too thick. doesn't add content value. it makes my iphone hurt.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

You can go to my blog, on a PHONE?! Wow. What an amazing world we live in. They oughta sell tickets.

Gonna have to get one of them someday.

JB Miller said...

Yeah, Man. Three different styles of chairs in one banner is really hard to take. It weighs on my mind constantly.

Unknown said...

"Extractor", not "extractor spring".

Read this:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

and this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=10261/learn/1911_Auto_Extractor_Adjustment

It's nothing you should have to worry about for a while, and you'll see obvious symptoms if you need to do anything.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

thanks voodoo

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

And yeah, I know I messed up the nomenclature. I think I call it an "extractor SPRING" because I remember a lot of them are made of spring steel. But that isn't the right name, no. My Sig has an extractor AND an extractor spring. So does the bolt assembly on my 2 big rifles. The 1911 extractor may be springy, but it is just an extractor.

Tam said...

NJT,

"...I remember a lot of them are made of spring steel."

Actually, that's the problem. They're supposed to be made out of tempered spring steel, but most of them are MIM or castings these days... ;)