Saturday, February 26, 2011

Night Of the Comet

Daddy would have gotten us Uzis....




An iconic 80's movie. Night of the Comet. If you are of a certain age, and your parents got premium cable, you've this movie a bajillion times back then. Along with Red Dawn (WOLVERINES) and Dreamscape. The rotation was heavy.

Now, see, unless I had some hard data I'd have stuck with a MAC10 over the Uzi. At least in the original formulation with integral silencer. Something to hold onto and make the thing a bit more controllable. I'd have used the wire shoulder stock too. But yes, as is, the bare bones Uzi might have been preferable.

When is same "unless I had some hard data" I'd want to know the actual failure rate of the MAC10 vs whatever. Were the FTF we see in the clip typical? Was that due to substandard magazines or something else? Note it was near the end of the stick, when the spring is at full extension and getting weaker. Just a guess.

I like the authority of a .45, and the MAC10 came in that caliber, but for machine pistol work I prefer the controlability of the 9mm. Based on personal experience shooting full auto, at least. But going up against cosmic dust disease zombies like the ones in this movie, and given a wide selection, I'd eschew rock and roll all together, and recommend you do too, except for in some narrow situations. Like defending a tight door way where you have non-headshot zombies clustered together and you need to "repel boarders."

6 comments:

Murphy's Law said...

Having shot both the MAC and the Uzi, I'd take the Uzi in a heartbeat almost every time. They are different weapons designed for different roles--the Uzi is a battlefield SMG that CAN engage targets at 200M if you must, the MAC was designed as a close-range "room broom" for use be heavily-trained entry teams. I've never known MACs to have any reliability issues like in the movie--I suspect that was just Hollywood or else that one didn't like blanks--but the MAC is not that controllable with real bullets, either, especially without use of the stock and forward strap. (You wouldn't be holding it by it's suppressor if it had one--those things quickly reach a temperature of about a million degrees on automatic weapons.)

If I was clearing buildings with small rooms, and if I had the training and practice and an entry team with me, I might like a MAC. But for running through a city with an hot chick or two and having to engage targets as far away as that car or farther...Uzi every time.

That's why I own an Uzi, even though when I bought it, I could have gotten almost 3 MACs for the same price.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Good info.

I'll hold out for the Schmeisser MP40 if I can.

Bubblehead Les. said...

I believe the original Mac 10 came out in .380, and was really more for use as a Covert Action/Bodyguard/ Get the Frack out of the KillZone gun for the Secret Squirrel types. But by the 80's, company ownership had changed hands so often, calibers had spread to 9mm and .45ACP, and quality suffered greatly. Plus if you had a Full Auto version w/o the Suppressor attached, you had to control it with that strap REAL close to the muzzle (can you say Muzzle Blast ripping your fingers apart?).

So if I had a choice, I'd go UZI. But if I'd had to carry a 9mm Sub Gun today, I's take an H+K MP-5 over anything else in the Submachine Gun category. But as Larry Vickers has said, "All Semi-Auto Submachine Guns are really just easy to shoot two-handed pistols". Full Auto is a speciality Weapon. At least that was a reason they gave use when the Navy took away our Thompsons and gave us 870's instead.

IMHO, if I was an ordinary citizen w/o a Full-Auto License, I'd go with a couple of Glocks and some 33 round mags in my Level 4 Zed Outbreak BugOut Bag and head to my Safe Place. YMMV, of course.

Murphy's Law said...

The MP 40 is a great gun, too. Light, durable, reliable. There's one on subguns.com right now at what seems to be a decent price. I think I've seen the gun and if it's the one I think it is, it shoots smooooth. Kill many zombies.

http://www.subguns.com/classifieds
Enter# 18412 in the search box.

Old NFO said...

I agree on the Uzi...

Boat Guy said...

I'm with Murph, Les and OldNFO; the Uzi has proven to be remarkably accurate. I was greatly surprised - and pleased - the first time I shot one. The MP5 or better still the MP10 are better BUT...
I'm also with Mr Vickers (and others including Jeff Cooper) when the idea of handheld full-auto, especially launching a pistol bullet is concerned.
Subguns are FUN - IF somebody else is buying the ammo, but they are of decidedly limited utility.