Tuesday, February 1, 2011

strain screw

So I was thinking I HAD to high to a gunsmith to get the light strikes of the ex's .44 worked on.  But Farmer Frank said 'try the strain screw'

Waelly, waelly, waell!  Another hint and a simple thumbly user modified solution I can test.  I love the internet.  A while back someone 'fixed' the feed thingummy on my 1894C by telling me to tighten a particular screw.

Of course, Farmer Franks just said Strain Screw.  But that was enough.  A cursory check on Google got me here, and all the details are filled in.  It's just a screw on the bottom front of the metal frame the grip is mounted on.  It pushes on the spring, either less or more, depending on where you turn it.  I tightened it up, and we'll see what happens.  Now I just have to test it.  Probably today.

I've noticed that about the .44s I've seen and shot.  The serious recoil seems to rattle screws loose readily.

[Update:  Hey, the gun now works.  Surprise, surprise.]

6 comments:

Ian Argent said...

I'll ask a newb question here. Is this an appropriate place to apply (blue) loktite?

When I say blue loktite, I mean the stuff I always see on laptop screws when I'm disassembling them. It seems to keep the screws from backing out, but IME anyway doesn't affect my ability to unscrew with a screwdriver. Maybe they're a little tighter...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I've applied loctite on this very gun. It mighth be blue, might be black. It failed on this application, mainly because there was too much oil and lubes. I need to clean the thing til it's DRY and try again.

On other guns, like my snubbie's side plate, and the SIG's grip screws, only one screw has gotten loose of the 7 treated. And that was one of the grip screws

That Guy said...

**sniff** I feel so slighted... I said strain screw first... **sniff**

Just joking. Glad you got it fixed! With guns, as with cars, always check the simplest thing first.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

AH, but you don't have a linkable website, That Guy...

Tam said...

When buying a used Smif wheelie, always check the strain screw: folks all the time back it out "to make the trigger pull lighter" and then wonder why they get a bad case of "Gun No Workee".

That Guy said...

I did not know I had that blocked. Think I fixed it.

I agree with Tam. You can end up with some good used gun deals from people screwing with the strain screw.