Monday, February 21, 2011

PSA

Commenter Arthur came up with a tip I want to share on main page.

"When I do something that requires manipulation several small parts and springs at once, I put the whole mess inside a big ziplock bag.

Unless you're really unlucky and the springs shoot out of the bag opening past your wrists it can prevent an hour of parts hunting.

If you ever try removing the mag catch from your Sig you should definitely try the bag deal. The small plunger that locks the catch into the frame can go supersonic when it flies out."

A great idea if, like me, you sometimes have a part go SPROING in you basement workshop with all the wood shaving an all the flotsam and jetsam a shop invariably has.

6 comments:

JB Miller said...

How about one of those mad scientist aquariums with hand holes?

Rubber gloves optional!

http://www.laboratory-supply.net/gloveboxes/Cleatech_Glove_Box_2100%20Series.JPG

Old NFO said...

Good point, I've lost my share of parts on the workbench and floor over the years... sigh...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

That's be a good place to take a compressor to blow off all the dissolved by solvent gunk, too.

Guffaw in AZ said...

I have one of those big 'bus trays', used for dirty dishes in restaurants. Keeps chemicals and stray parts in one space. A friend, long ago, had a S&W Model 60 (1967 vintage) and completely stripped it. One tiny spring escaped, into the green shag carpeting (this was probably 1975).
He called S&W, and they sent him THREE replacements, free of charge!
Don't see customer service like that much, anymore.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Have a friends Taurus revolver down because of a spring that went Sproing, but guess which company WON'T send you a replacement, and there's not one on the Aftermarket? Looks nice as a paperweight, though.

w.v.: Lenin? I KNEW Google was run by Commies!

Anonymous said...

I lost some tiny springs the first time I disassembled my AR15. I was sure I would never find it but lucked out.

I am liking the idea of a bench enclosure in the the gun room.

...