Monday, September 8, 2008

Basic Pistol Training Bleg

The most common pistol training available around here is NRA Basic Pistol.

Has anyone taken this course and elaborate on what you 'get'?

I was wondering if I'd take much away from it. Hours describing pistol types, parts of the pistol, what a cartridge is, what sight picture is would all be a sort of review. But the range time and a bit of coaching might give me a pointer or two I had not considered before, making it all worthwhile. If that is what is offered. I'm pretty sure that is what goes on, but I don't know for sure.

Plus the trainers might have information on where to secure further, later training on my shooting technique.

What say you all?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had that class as prep for my CCP. It was a long time ago.

3 hours class room, then 2 hours range time plus a written test and a 7 yard shooting proficiency test.

Very basic stuff.

The Armed Canadian said...

Basic pistol is exactly that. Basic pistol types, operation, etc, concluded with basic familiarization on the range. As long as you can hit the target at 5-7 yards without shooting the instructor by accident, you pass.

You may get some pointers out of it if you've never fired a handgun before. If you have, it's purpose is to act as a stepping stone to other training that may require it. I did Basic Pistol for my VA CHP (the only reason I took it).

The live fire might get you some pointers if your instructor wishes but it isn't a given. If you want pointers, I'd recommend something else if training is what you are after. Basic pistol is geared towards absolute beginners, not experienced shooters.

Unknown said...

I just took the NRA FIRST Steps. Yes, I wasn't expecting too much. And figured most of it would be covered in the NRA Basic Pistol course I am taking next month.

But I took it with my wife. And am glad I took it for four reasons:

1. Short course, good for my wife's ADD. *lol*

2. So I can tell people what the difference is.

3. We had someone who seemed a pretty good instructor. And wanted to maximize our time on the range. A guy named Chuck Belz.

4. A legal defense. This way you have a record of formal training. A lawyer can't say you're just some whacko who bought a gun to wave around and who took no personal responsibility.

Anonymous said...

My wife took it earlier this year as a prerequisite to getting her CHP. NRA also offers a basic concealed carry course that spends more time on holster selection and drawing the gun, etc.