Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Springfield '03

There's been some interest when I mentioned the Springfield '03 in the post about trade-ins for my Colt. It's a fine rifle in very good shape. The serial number dating of it says it was manufactured in 1918, AFTER the receiver tempering problem was addressed. (The older tempering method was imprecise and can lead to cracked receivers under firing pressures, in some instances. Disastrous, but not my worry.) It was passed down to me by my father in law, and my interest was it was the rifle we drilled with in my ROTC years.

According to the armory marks, it was re-barrelled in 1942.

I like it, well enough, but it shoots left. I had to crank the windage almost all the way over to center the shots on the bull.

I half considered getting it tapped for a scope mount but the gunsmith took a look at the condition and BEGGED me not to. A $200 modification would take $500 off the value of the rifle. My Luddite tendencies, and respect for history kicked in, and I quickly agreed with his assessment. When I reported this exchange on this blog, Tam was also relieved I refrained from butchering the piece and introduced my to the term "Bubba-ized." As in "Don't you DARE bubba-ize that rifle!"

But I don't shoot it, much. Bolt action and me don't agree. Mainly because of the right handed nature of the beast. It's sights are notch and leaf, instead of peep. I prefer peep. If I need an iron-sight rifle for hunting I can use the M1A. Or, if I want to use a scoped rifle I can use the Garand (I added a scout scope mount to the Garand. But don't worry, the modifications are easily reversed, returning the rifle to it's original Navy-Garand configuration.) The windage issue on the '03 really bothers me, too. I shouldn't HAVE to crank it right over. It's too quirky. So the rifle stays well cared for, but comes out but rarely.

And yes, I'll hunt with an M14 semi-auto clone. Military style rifles have 'sporting use' besides target competition. And even Obama promised not to ban my hunting rifle.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

To get a mechanical zero you tap the front sight over, shouldn't take much.If you flip the sight up you'll have your peep. The sights work great once you get the hang of them.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

A peep sight 12 inches from my eye?

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

And I don't know if I CAN bonk the front signt over. It's not in a dovetail slot. I'll check.

Earl said...

He meant just bend it a bit, but two rifles that have windage issues? And you really trust a politician or just that they may not have the votes to go PETA on hunters, too?