Monday, September 15, 2008

What did YOU get at the Fun Show?

I ALMOST bought a $200 Remington model 11 shotgun as a parts gun. It'd be a hassle to wait for the approval and I can probably get a crappier $100 parts fun and steal the barrel off of it. Ah well. Use the rest of it in case stuff breaks on the primary. I HAVE a short and a long barrel for my current Model 11, but the long barrel has been monkeyed with by a home gunsmith, hammering in bad rifling. The other options is buy the parts shotgun, swapping off the barrel, and reselling the lesser for about what I paid for it.

No other guns called my name.

You know what I DID notice? Even with all my interest in guns and history, there is still so much I don't know. I noticed myself thinking "that looks like that blurfl that was supposed to be a competitor for the Tommy gun in WWII and didn't work so great. I'm not sure of the name, and I could be in wrong ballpark entirely." There is so much still to learn.

I did get some small ammo cans to help sort ammo and accessories.

A Serpa holster followed me home, thanks to the recommendation of the Blackwater Gun Blogger Jarrett Extravaganza people. What the heck, they're inexpensive. The holster I selected is a lefty version for the 1911.

I got some Bubinga grips for the self same 1911. Now the gun is more 'me' than Springfield.

Bought one of those fancy flashlights that are as bright as the sun.

And the Magtech box of 250 .45 rounds will be good for practice.

I did get to handle the compact SIG P239 and confirmed my concerns. The handle is too small. My pinkie half dangles off the grip. With a magazine in the well I'd have a bit more support, but you know... the gun isn't THAT much more compact than the 229. And neither are much bigger than the 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless. But the SIGs have the much more capable .40, and I shoot the 229 much better than the .380. Plus, If I could conceal carry, there are more compact .380s out there for summer use in a pocket. With bulkier clothes I could carry a 1911 or P229. Probably the P229, but I haven't decided. Open carry would, hands down, be the 1911.

Not having any money, but wanting to get a pistol has got me thinking... Maybe I could trade the Colt 1903 for a Sig P229? Will I regret that? I only have a few boxes of .380 ammo, and I could trade THEM off to MBtGE for boxes of .40 cal... I need advice. Don't all talk at once. The Colt is a good gun that I got on wait of Tenring's Denise and Tam's reviews, but so is the Sig a good gun.

[By the way, if you ever decide to get a lifetime NRA membership, do it at the table outside the gun show. It's $250 cheaper...]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sell the 1903 Colt and buy the SIG.

That is a good plan.

Unknown said...

I picked up a few items on my to get list:

- Larger ammo can
- LaserMax LMS-UNI rail mountable laser for my P-345
- NRA Lifetime Membership

Meant to pick up some ammo on my way out, but was running late and totally spaced it out. So more Walmart ammo for now.

Though I did pick up 500 rounds of 9mm at Dick's for a total price of $70+Tax.

:)

Anonymous said...

If you should decide to sell, please let me know. I've been looking for a 1903 shooter for years. I have one, a family heirloom, that is engraved and much too "pretty" to shoot.