Sunday, September 21, 2008

Trade In 2

Well, the verdict is pretty much in. Keep the Colt, save for the SIG. Thanks Breda.



And I must correct My Buddy the Gun Enthusiast (MBtGE.) Yes, the gun fails to feed sometimes, but that is with the less than ideal after-market magazines. I have ONE pristine original mag to go with the pistol that works just dandy. It's as reliable as your Kel-Tec. You need to stop limp-wristing it...



The after-market mags are range-only. And I do need to get some practice time with it. The teeny tiny military sights are hard to acquire. Maybe the better grip I've been practicing will help with the pointing.


One more data point: The serial number indicates that this gun is a 1921 manufactured gun. It's confusing, calling the 1903 Pocket Hammerless in .380, a model 1908 Pocket Hammerless, when there is ANOTHER Colt Model 1908 Vest Pocket gun chambered in the proven MAN-stopper .25 caliber. How many different models did they make in 1908? Colt couldn't have called it a 1907 to avoid confusion? Did colt have to keep throwing around the word 'pocket' all the time? Sheesh. If it was a .32 caliber 1903, the serial number would mean it was made around 1906. I'm going with the 1921 date, myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read your blog occasionally, before the lovely Breda asked. I did not throw trash...

Keeping the Colt is the right choice, just because it's old and cool.

I have an ancient and similarly beautiful S&W revolver- nickel. Was in my wife's family.

Don't even own ammo for it, but I would never part with it, as it has just a neat historical feel.

Weetabix said...

I wonder if "pocket" was the long-ago equivalent of "tactical" for increasing sales?

NotClauswitz said...

The pocket .25's are really vest-pocket sized - my hands are too big I'd shoot a finger-off. The way I remember 'em as the '03 is the .32 and the '08 as the .380 - with the same hammerless shape/design.
There's a minty '03 .32 made in 1915 at a shop nearby for which they're asking $600...too dear for me.
A WAY-COOL variation is the Swedish Husqvarna Browning called the m1907 model. Originally they were made for the "9 MM Browning Long" that threw a 110 grain bullet at 1115f.p.s. with 318 ft/lbs - so it was a bit more stout than a .380 even!