Friday, September 26, 2008

What is Good? *

Marko at his Munchkin Wrangler blog is having guest bloggers do his thing for a week. He didn't ask me. I'm not as famous as his actual guests (Squeaky, then Breda, etc.) and he has standards to maintain, so. I am right out.

The theme his guests are writing to: "Things That I Love." Sounds like an English Composition assignment for High School. Well, I need blog fodder. I'll adapt the theme to my needs.

All Good Things In Life Are Brown.

Yes, you heard me. Think about it.

Coffee.
Chocolate.
Stout
Porter
Steak (the outside.)
Tobacco
Leather
Bourbon (or for you furrener-o-philes. Scotch. I don't understand the appeal of Scotch, but for those that do, I'll grant it is a 'Good Thing.')
Scrapple
Gravy.
Ronald Reagan (the man loved his brown suits)
Truffles and Shittake Mushrooms
Whitetail Deer
Cardboard packages left on your stoop by a man driving a brown truck.
The Mississippi river
Firewood
Pancakes and Waffles and Maple Syrup
Roux
Baked Beans
Porkpie and Derby hats
Bread (yeah, lots of stuff featured at Home On The Range)


And. Naturally. Walnut furniture. As cabinetry, or in the form of grips or stocks on a firearm. Pearwood, Applewood, Mahogany and Rosewood are also pretty shades of brown, but Walnut is King.

All brown. All good things.

Are they all good FOR you? Of course not. That's part of what makes them 'good.' Some are. In moderation, perhaps ALL are. But you can't have too many fine milsurp guns. Or too much Reagan.




[* What is Good? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women]

10 comments:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Hmmmm. Tam used the same line in her contribution to Munchkin.

A pre-emptive WWTD. I must be getting good at this.

breda said...

I'm not as famous as his actual guests (Squeaky, then Breda, etc.) and he has standards to maintain, so. I am right out.

You're also not female enough. Not that there's anything wrong with that, of course.

There's this Amish restaurant we go to and it has a wide selection of brown food, all of it most delicious. And wholesome, of course.

But while "All Good Things In Life Are Brown", I've learned that all brown things in life are not good. Amish buggies are pulled by horses, see...

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Breda please! I'm trying to keep a 'clean' blog.

breda said...

...says the man who talks about goatse.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

Anonymous said...

ha, I was reading the list and 3/4 of the way of I think thinking "where the hell is walnut".

Brown Zunes are an example of brown gone bad.

Anonymous said...

Nipples are brown. Nipples are good.

Earl said...

I had to copy your post - without attributing it to you - and give it to my token Hispanic. He wanders doing a wonderful job, working harder and faster than all the other workers, but he will always play the race card saying "I'm only brown."

Brown is just great, as you pointed out nicely...

Anonymous said...

But isn't a really really good stout black?

NotClauswitz said...

Rum is brown.
And so are cardboard packages from *Midway* that you have to sign-for by a man in brown driving a brown truck.