Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Will

I had a dream a while back that reflect my thinking on self defense I have picked because of gun blogging, et al.  Then THIS comes out in a post.   Where a guy realized, while taking the stinky end of the stick in a knife fight, that he had a .25 pistol...

Robb expounds on the issue of Will being the first means of resistance you employ.  It's not how well armed you are, everything is a weapon.  Better weapons are better, but the vital part of the self-defense equation is your wetware.

Jeff Cooper recommends, when you find yourself in a struggle for survival, get mad.  Convert fear to anger.  Go from "Holy crap this guy is attacking me, I'm in danger," to, "how DARE he attack me, dammit!"

In my dream I was going for my snubbie when the home invader shot me in the throat.  That spot right between the collar bones.  I knew, in dreamland, I was a goner and was lying on the floor next to my bed.  My thought, then, "am I hurt so bad that I can't get up and still go for the snubbie and put up a fight?"

That's a great improvement in attitude in my nightmare.  The thought of resistance at least occurs to me, rather than just curling up.  But I still have it half wrong.  My final thought before waking should be, "I am still going to go for my snubbie and put up a fight."  THAT is the reaction.  That should be instinctive.  What's the worst that can happen?  You can get killed?  You are already getting killed.

So my subconscious almost has the right combo...  Not there yet. 

(also:  stupid dream-blog-post.  tedious.... mea culpa)

4 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

I know you don't want to hear this, but one needs to have the "Zombie" Mindset. If Push comes to Shove, and ALL else fails, you "Die Trying" to rip the Enemy's Throat out with your Teeth.

At least, that's MY stand. YMMV, of course.

Bota Guy said...

Fear paralyzes and anger motivates. Righteous indignation is a good foundation...

Bob said...

I've talked about this a couple of times on my own blog, and call it the No Damn Man Kills Me and Lives scenario, named after Confederate General Nathan Bedford Forrest, who was shot by a subordinate with whom he was quarreling. Forrest, who was holding a pen knife when he was shot, grabbed the man's gun arm with one hand, opened the pen knife with his teeth, and then stabbed him repeatedly, shouting the words cited above. The man died, while Forrest lived, the bullet having grazed his hip and missed all his vitals.

I did a poll one time about this scenario, asking gunnies if that thought was in the back of their minds: to take their killer with them. All of them said yes.

45er said...

Kill him faster. He will serve you in Valhalla.