Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Compact Fluorescent Bulbs


They are good for the environment and your budget, too! They last 7 years! And besides, regular lightbulbs will be verboten, soon.

I HATE them.

First, the light they give off sucks, and they a while to reach full brightness. They are expensive and burn OUT as fast as regular bulbs. I have regular bulbs I have never replaced in this house, and I've lived here 10 years. I used twisty bulbs in a few applications, but they have ALL burned out at least once, and I've only used them for 3 years. Al Gore, you owe me replacement bulbs.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

And you can't shoot them because they are toxic.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

Can't shoot them? Right....

No, no. Of COURSE I'd never shoot them. That would be bad, wouldn't it? No. Not that.

Mike W. said...

I'd never use they because they're toxic. Break one somewhere with carpeting and you have one hell of a cleanup bill.

And yes, the light SUCKS. I hate florescent lighting.

AL said...

Fluorescence lighting perform poorly when you need to turn it on and off frequently, eg hallway lights, door lights etc. The ballast needs to charge and the starter takes some time to kick in. There are better versions, those cost $$$.

It works best when you need to leave it continuously on eg porch lights, room lights etc.

Because of its wrong application and concerns about the chemical make up of the internal coating, LED lights are increasingly popular.

Those cost lights cost more and surprisingly a low energy sipper. Try LED torchlights. You will be surprised!

Bgg said...

I remember reading somewhere that the trace amounts of mercury in the buld roughly equate to the mercury emissions at the powerplant smokestack level.

How good can it be for one's carbon footprint to invest in these lame little gems? Especially given the fact you can't even toss the sucker when it peters out....