Monday, July 12, 2010

Easy Fire

I'm running out of stuff to talk about. Inspiration will hit, I just hope it's soon.

During the previous range session, I did something extensively that I normally do but rarely. I dry fired the DA snubbie in between each live cylinder.

Have you notice how smooth and easy pulling the trigger is when you know it won't go bang? There is a sense of calm, I have too. At which point I think, "the next 5 shots will be great because of how smooth I am during this dry fire" whereupon I load the revolver and... tense up in anticipation.

I'm wondering if that is how those professional shooters feel? The one that shoot 100,000 rounds a year without breaking a sweat. I wonder if the bang has no more impact than a click, to their eyes. With the shooting part out of their concern they can concentrate on speed and efficiency of motion and overcoming competitive nerves.

2 comments:

deadcenter said...

buy some snap caps or make some dummy rounds (if you reload). load the rounds randomly, give the cylinder a little spin and close it without looking at the rounds (if you shoot with a friend, have them load the revolver and hand it over without you seeing it).

Now, you don't know whether it's going to Bang! or click!, so you have to concentrate on that front site and that smooth trigger press. Repeat the process until that flinch is a memory. but, repeat once or twice per range session, even when the flinch is gone.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

I do do that. I find myself tense anyway, and trying to guess when the bang is coming.

I do see the anticipatory push that way, though, so the method has a good deal of training value that way. But I am just no relaxed.

I think I need to try it with just ONE live one in the cylinder. Can't really guess when #2 is coming if there is no #2.