Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Placid

Saw Lake Placid the other weekend.

No, it's not the one about the 1980 winter Olympics.  It's the one about the 30 foot crocodile in Maine that Betty White feeds.

It's Jaws, on a Lake, with two Brody characters and two Hooper characters and no Quint.  Also...  a lot fewer people died than I recalled in this 16 year old flick.  Two humans on camera, one in the back story for the movie, a bear, a moose, a cow...  that's pretty much it. 

I am recounting this movie because there is a BFG in it carried the Sheriff, played by Brendan Gleeson.  And I had no idea what it was.  It acted like a grenade launcher of some sort.  My guess is it's fake.  Let me look it up in the firearm database.

Nope, it's legit.  A Cobray 37mm grenade launcher is used to blow the head off of one of the crocs.  It's got a bit of an extend-o-barrel that still feels dubious, but... I'm not really up on my bomb throwers.


1 comment:

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

To be honest, I don't consider myself 'up' on anything. Still 'New' Jovian Thunderbolt. As in: N00b.

But c'mon! I'm stronger in other areas, if nowhere near an encyclopedic level of knowledge.