Monday, November 14, 2016

I carry a compact XD .40

"And in a Serpa holster."

I am guilty of this.  Or the idea of this.

I admit it.

I am NEW Jovian Thunderbolt, or was, and when casting about with the idea eventually getting CCW when I started this blog almost 10 years ago, and just then getting into more than cursory plinking.

It was a totally rational and sober selection process.  And it arrived at that.

I tried the other plastic pistols, and I didn't like the feel of the M&P trigger and shot the Glock poorly in comparison to XDs.

I was convinced about the big bullet thanks to research online and Jeff Cooper, but I wanted to slim it down some.  The caliber still started with a 4.

And the medium size gun instead of full size because CCW.  When not carrying concealed I wanted a retention holster and BLACKHAWK! was new and offered that nice retention button.

Well, that was many years before now, and my thinking has changed and my decision then has become a joke.  My consolation is I never did buy that XD for myself, and carry it.  I still recommended it to others, then.

What do I prefer now?  J Frame snubbie in a pocket holster is what I DO.  It's been 10 years and it still isn't practical to CCW in Maryland.  But say I lived and worked as a Linotype Machinist in Mentor Ohio instead?  The 1911s I customized in IWB holsters.  Or a Safariland lvl III at 9 o'clock.  But I don't have all the answers!  10 years in and I am still learning, still improving, and nowhere near as close to where I want to be, skillwise.  I don't NEED new and different equipment.  I need new and different me.   Working on that, still.




1 comment:

ASM826 said...

I bought and later sold a Springfield XD in .45ACP. What I carry now, almost exclusively, is a Ruger SP-101. And I live in a place that I can carry.