Monday, July 18, 2016

Nine Years Gone

What a strange trip it has been. 

I started blogging 9 years ago today.  Blog were new and hip and popular and there were SO many active gun blogs.  Blog that didn't spark my interest to expand my gun knowledge, but did, indeed, fan the flames. 

So few blogs today.

But then I had to think of a niche to carve out for myself.  Luckily, I was new to guns, and the blogs already out there were all old hats to this subject.  I could journalize my fumblings. 

Now.  Reflecting back:
  • I am a better shooter, yes.  But not that much better.  I don't have the natural talent that some of those whiz bang Race Gun people have, out of the box.  But that's ok. 
  • I have TWO CCW licenses. 
  • My home state has had ups and downs.  Back in 2007 you had a duty to retreat in your own home.  Not anymore.  Back in 2007 the AR10 offerings were sparse but you could buy an M1A with as many 20 round magazines as you want, and as many AR15s as you want.  Now you can get one of the many decent AR10s out there, but not AR15s, M1As or 11+ round magazines.
  • Back in 2007, the 2nd Amendment could be successfully argued to be some sort of collective right of the National Guard's.  Not anymore. 
  • I bought too many guns.  If I could get in a time machine and go back and tell New Jovian Thunderbolt what to concentrate on... what to look for... what is a waste of time... what is fun but uneeded... what is perfect for him... that would be great. 

6 comments:

Marty said...

Congrats, man!

Old NFO said...

Congrats and looking forward to 9 more years (at least)... :-)

DoninSacto1 said...

Glad to be part of your fan base.

Hat Trick said...

Congratulations. I'm looking forward to many more years and if I ever get out your way sharing some stories with you and Borepatch.

NotClauswitz said...

Good on ya! I've only gotten a little better at shooting in the past too-many years blogging, and I don't think my blogging has improved much either. Maybe less verbose, just can't compete with Kevin/The Smallest Minority anyhow.
And my state has potentially gotten worse while my circumstances have improved since we moved to a county where a CCW was possible - and now I have AZ and Utah too! Cheers!

Borepatch said...

Congrats, T-Bolt!