Sunday, July 17, 2011

Commenter Questions

From Clint1911

“I had been holding it like a golf club.  That didn't get me anywhere, a gentle grip.”
That's the WORST thing you can do. Let me guess, you've been shooting a lotta 22's right?

Not really.  When I shoot .22 it doesn't approximate the same flaws as with centerfire, so I don't count on the .22 to improve my stuff in that area and thus I don't use .22 as much as I would/could. 



Questions:

Do you have access to reloading equipment?

No.  I don't trust myself enough to go that route.  My patience level, concentration, and attention to detail aren't conducive to reloading.  At least to the point where I'd be comfortable shooting my own loads.



What guns to you practice with the most? (include airsoft)

1911s for SA the last year or so, .38+P and .40 for DA.  Rarely .22.  Sometimes I'll play with the Trollops .44 magnum or .40 XD.  I've never shot an airsoft pistol and it's been decades since I shot a BB gun pistol.



How often do you dryfire?

Not often enough.  Though I am starting to incorporate it into the beginning of a live fire range session to get my warmup started.

1 comment:

Clint said...

Let me answer these in a different order:

“When I shoot .22 it doesn't approximate the same flaws as with centerfire,”

This is a good thing. First it shows you can clearly see the problem (so many refuse to) and second it means your trigger control and sight use is good. The bad news is you seem to have an “anticipation” problem.

“I've never shot an airsoft pistol and it's been decades since I shot a BB gun pistol.”

One thing Jeff Cooper was surprised at was how shooting BB guns did NOT help people shoot firearms better.

I think we can ignore airsoft and BB guns. (But I wonder how much 22's really help with centerfire.)

Dryfire: Starting a range session with dry fire sounds good but... It might be amp-ing up your problem. If you prime you body for an inert response, the recoil may seem that much more harsh.

There is no on-size-fits all solution. Like many treatments, how you respond to the the first half dictates what is done in the second half.

I tempted to give a long reply about all the things you could do, but I think it would be better to do this in chunks.

How big is you 38?
When do you plan to go to the range next?
Have you shot a diagnostic target recently?

Diagnostic target can be found here:
http://zero7one.blogspot.com/2010/09/lee-precision-diagnostic-targets-for.html

Let's try getting a base line so we can measure future progress. Can you shoot three of the above targets, one each with the 45, 38 and 22? Or better yet, shoot three targets each for a total of nine.

Clint1911