Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Next 3 Days

So there is this Russell Crowe quasi revenge movie, prison break for a frame job thing called The Next 3 Days.  You are planning a prison break, you might need to be armed.  You need a gun.  He goes to a gunstore and says:

"Show me where the bullets go..." And buys a gun.  Or has it already.  Looks Glockish.

Then he is an expert shot.  A college professor.  A College professor.

As for n00bie training...  There is SOME familiarization needed when buying a new pistol.  I knew, from the movies, that the magazine goes there before I ever laid a hand on a pistol.  I'd have figured out the Operating System of most pistols, even that inexperienced, give time and fiddling.  But I am mechanically inclined.  That said, I never did figure out how that SPAS shotgun worked, but I wasn't really trying.  Same with the technique of loading individual rounds into a mag.  I could figure that out, but it was nice to flatten that learning curve by being shown some ways to do it.

And I usually ask for the field strip technique at the gun store before taking a gun home.  See the weird way a Colt Pocket Hammerless needs to be disassembled.

But you don't go from "show me where the bullets go" to good shot, much less GREAT shot.  Even naturally talented and motivated.



Admittedly he only uses it once.  But he does Mexican carry a Glock in the front of his pant.  Which works, I guess, until it doesn't.

8 comments:

TotC said...

heh, show him where the bullet goes.....

Being the literal smartaleck I am, an empty case would've been produced and the open end would have been pointed to.

Old NFO said...

Too bad it wasn't loaded and he shot his penis off when he grabbed it, like the kid down in El Paso a year or so ago...

45er said...

Want a good revenge movie, see "Faster". This sounds like a POS, but I guess it could redeem itself.

Bubblehead Les. said...

Anyone who is seriously looking to Hollywood on How to Use a Gun is probably watching Zombie Flicks, thinking, "It looks like I need to get a Bunch of Shotguns to survive an Outbreak."

Broken Andy said...

It didn't strike me as a revenge movie. As a movie, I thought it was decent, but the gun stuff did frustrate me.

Becoming a shooting ace overnight wasn't the worst part though. The movie would have been boring if they showed him going to multiple gun schools and hitting the range twice a week for 6 months. So moving it along helps the movie.

The part I didn't like was the purchase of the gun. He goes to a gun store in Pennsylvania and the transaction to buy a gun is treated as if it were totally blackmarket, back alley, illegal. The Glock he gets is wrapped in an old dirty, oily cloth, and the whole transaction is suppose to be seedy. That was completely unnecessary to the plot.

New Jovian Thunderbolt said...

He might have had the gun already, and gotten it from a street dealer, but went to the gunstore with the gun in the oily cloth to get instruction on the proper place 'where the bullets go.'

David said...

Mexican carry...aka "Plaxico Burress carry."

Anonymous said...

Did it have a "shoulder thing that went up"?

1894C
III