Friday, July 29, 2011

Shottie Loadout

For thos of you that use a shotgun as a primary defense, do you vary your load out?  I know some people at least entertain the idea.  I am leery of the wisdom of doing so.

For instance "I load rock salt first in case I wanna firing a warning shot, then I have a magnesium loaded shell to blind the home invaders like a flash band grenade.  I close my eyes for this one.  The next 2 are 00 buckshot for the bad guys, and then a slug round, if I have to crash through a locked door but it will work on a bad guy too.  The last 2 are 000 buck cuz I figure they are already pretty messed up and no need for overkill..."

Ok that was a bit of Mall Ninja fantasy, and not serious.  But there are valid argument for varying.  Like shot-slug-shot-slug.  Does anyone actually do that? 

I'd use 00 buckshot for everything.  Keeping track of what is next in thetube is more than my adrenalin addled brain can probably keep track of.  I know others would go all slug.  Still others would have birdshot in the first one, but only because they use the shottie to take out rattlesnakes in the yard.  For social purposes they might not count on #9 size shotgun pellets, but snakes would be in a bad way with that. 

7 comments:

Bubblehead Les. said...

Slightly different system for me. The tube is loaded with all 00 buck, but the spare ammo on the stock is all slug. But I run it in Condition 3 (Chamber Empty, Magazine Loaded for all those hundreds of New people who come to your site every day to learn about guns). That gives me an option on the First Shot. YMMV, of course.

Paladin said...

I keep a "hall sweeper" bedside. It's 00 buck exclusively. I tend to overcomplicate things sometimes and I'm trying to follow the "KISS" principal now when I can.

Murphy's Law said...

Because this is primarily an indoor shotgun, I have buckshot in the tube, slugs on the sidesaddle. I can switch up whenever I feel the need.

Anonymous said...

I live in a crowded neighborhood, with walls of lath and plaster I keep mine loaded with #4 buck. It'll work in a room, and not over penetrate.

A buddy in the Army says he was taught to use buck-slug-buck-slug for boat operations (buck for the deck, slug to the waterline) lather, rinse repeat. But I can;t keep track under stress.

Marty said...

All low recoil 00Buck for indoor defensive loads.

Only in the Pump shotguns though.

Huey said...

been looking at this recently for use at home...bb flavor

http://www.basspro.com/Remington-HD-Ultimate-Home-Defense-Shotshells-12-Gauge/product/10215215/-1624460

btw, that is the cheapest price on it I can find, a lot of places want $20+ for it...

Anonymous said...

If someone or something is trying to kill me inside my house then I won't be counting. Full load of triple 0, and although I have never had the opportunity and never want to try Remington says its good enough for Black Bear.