Uh oh. I spoke too soon.
The tool list for the Intermediate 1911 Armorers class next weekend includes a Dremel. Now I am a little intimidated. I had a 1990 vintage Dremel for a while, but the bearings were shot on it before I got into the whole gunnie bidness.
I'm a handtool enthusiast for most things, but I am no purist. While I do have a hand cranked post drill in my shop, the Delta floor model drill press has it's place and I probably use it more. I have as many types of antique handsaws as I have firearms. Probably more. But the bandsaw is there, too.
I wonder if I could rig up a velocipede style 15,000 rpm dremel-type tool...? Nah. But this will be my first battery operated tool I own. Only getting rechargeable because of the class.
Let's See if the Press Has Any Balls
-
Trump is kicking out MSNOW, Politico and CNN from covering the White House.
If the WHCA has any balls, they'd all walk out and leave the White House to
Fo...
10 hours ago

6 comments:
If they are available, get a couple extra battery packs. I bought my wife a cordless dremel and I'm not impressed. I'll keep my corded one.
Not sure if I would bother with a "1911 armorer's class" that used a *Dremel." Buffing only, perhaps? I question it even then. Dammit, either you use a darned mill (and a good one) or don't bother. There's darned little you can *teach* a person to do to a 1911 "by eye." (It's true I did chuck up the pins from my Sistema in a hand-cranked drill and polish them with Flitz when I put in the C&S lockwork, and even knocked down some burrs with a fine diamond hone, but that ain't no Dremeling.)
Dunno about that... Dremel seems to be a bit 'extreme'...
I actually have the Black and Decker variable speed version. It uses most if not all of the same accessories as well, I have mine set up with the Dremel Flex Shaft attachment. Simply because it is easier to hold and maneuver than the whole tool itself. Plus it saved me about $30 at the time.
I'm not worried. How much damage can I really do with a 15,000 rpm battery operated device with a 1/8th inch carbide bit on a 1911 frame, after all?
I think the biggest thing with the dremel is buffing or smoothing down the front sight stake if you replace that.
Post a Comment